Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with fish finders for ice
I'm wanting a fish finder for ice fishing and don't know the best way to go. I currently have an Eagle Fishmark 640C mounted to my boat and have thought about converting it over but I would rather just get one just for the ice. Can anyone please tell me what is the better way to go, a normal one like I have or a flasher? Also which brands should I look for or stay away from? Any help would be appreciated.
[signature]
For ice fishing, Velixar type flashers all the way.

Justin
[signature]
Welcome to the site and congrats on your 1st post.

If you have the money and are willing to spend it, flasher. There is no question that a modern 3 color flasher performs better than almost any pixal type of finder.
One thing you will not get with the flasher though is history.
The time it takes for the pixals to work their way accross the screen is history. If you happen to be looking away for a minute to pour a drink or rig another rod and a fish swims through, a flasher will not thell you what you missed. They operate in real time only.
I hae not eer used a color pixal type of finder on the ice, so I'm not sure how well they can seperate what is happening next to your lure, but with a flasher you can see the fish come into the cone, then if the signal changes color, know that the fish is coming closer to your lure and watch as the two different color flashes (one being your metal lure) come together. An instant later you see your spring bobber twitch.
Big question for most is do they want to put out $300 or more for the flasher.
Most like the Vexilar, but Marcum and Humminbird also make them.
[signature]
Check out the Showdown flasher its great and then go to E-Bay to buy it a lot cheaper than any other store.
[signature]
First of all welcome to the board! Fun place, great people, and at times unmatched entertainment.

I'm going to spare you my usual pitch for flashers and suggest that you check out a few different finders when you are on the ice. Most guys like to talk about their toys and will be happy to show you how they work. That is what I did, and after looking at a few made my decision. There are incredible choices in electronics. Take some time and have fun with it.

That said, I have flashers. Both Vexilar and Marcum. I would be happy to show you how they work. We can run them side by side and you can decide if you would like a flasher or a normal one like you run on your boat. I ice fish most weekends.

IceAndFlly
[signature]
I personally prefer the Vexilar. I would add that you should also look at getting the dual beam transducer if you fish the deeper portions of some of our lakes.
[signature]
Vexilar, or vexilar, if you can't find or afford that, get a VEXILAR
[signature]
O.K. I may be a bit biased. But I love my VEXILAR!! And I have owned a lot of sonar units. Lowrance in the boat and Vexilar on the ice.
[signature]
if you like your eagle and it works good for ya.. get a ice ducer for it and use it!! if you like haveing your head and eye's hurt for hours get a flasher... i had one and hated it.. they are not all that.. i not use my lowrance X135 and my 510 color and find they work so much better then the Velixar ever was! check it out the ice ducer should only be about 80 to 100 bucks.. a new velixar is what 350 to 400 something like that..

here a link to lowrance eagle.. you can order a ice ducer here.. [url "http://www.lei-extras.com/store/search.asp?SearchType=Unit&Unit=X125"]http://www.lei-extras.com/...hType=Unit&Unit=X125[/url]
[signature]
I have a home brew Humminbird finder hat I rigged up for the ice, and I love it. It has a split screen that shows real time and some history. It is precise enough to mark even a small swivel. That showdown does look pretty sweet to.
[signature]
A couple of years ago, I purchased an extra transducer for my eagle fishmark 320 for $70, and installed it strictly for use on the ice. It has worked great for me, and I don't have to mess around with changing out my ducer setup from summertime use. You may look into that, and you may be able to shop around and get a better price.

Fuzzyfisher wrote " if you like haveing your head and eye's hurt for hours get a flasher..."

Agreed, I have had the same experience.[pirate]
[signature]
I'm new to electronics on the ice so could some one fill me in as to why I need a different transduecer for ice fishing.
[signature]
you reely need a flasher..all arguments aside..you cant go wrong with a vexaler..fl 18 the best but the lesser models do the job fine too..
[signature]
I agree with Fuzzyfisher, I don't like the flashing lights, fricken drives me nuts, I like my Eagle just fine and have been using one for 25 years or so. It will draw my lure as well as the fish so I can see where they are in relation to my bait. I replaced one of my Eagles on my boat last spring with a Lowrance combo so that Eagle will be replacing my older one on the ice this year. Whatever you choose good luck and have fun on the ice.[fishin]
[signature]
Only for convience (sp). I used to take the ducer off the boat in the fall and rig it for winter, then I bought an extra transducer and mount for travel and ice so I could leave the boats on the transom.
[signature]
I have an Eagle 320 and my son has a Vexlar.
I have tried his Vexlar and I felt dizzy and had headaches from watching it.
If you are interested in a flasher, see if you can use one for a while before you buy one.
You may love it, but it isn't for me.
[signature]
[quote Highdesert81]

I'm new to electronics on the ice so could some one fill me in as to why I need a different transduecer for ice fishing.

[/quote]

In order for a transducer to work it must point straight down the hole. A transducer designed to be used on a boat works fine on a boat, because it can be permanently attached or sometimes is attached with a suction cup; however, the same transducer must be attached to something in order to point down the ice hole. Some make a support system out of PVC pipe, wood or some other material to accomplish this. The next challenge that this creates is that if one is fighting a fish it can get wrapped around the transducer if it is left down the ice hole. Frequently, removing the transducer from the hole, when it is permanently attached to some type of support system, can be a pain. Also, frequently repositioning it so that it is pointed straight down the hole can also be a challenge. To get around these issues they make a transducer that is designed to be hung down a hole. The transducer is self-leveling, which means it is always pointed straight down the hole. Some like to use them attached to an arm that is in turn attached to the fish finder. Others (like myself) prefer to have it attached to a float. The ice transducer can be easily removed from the hole when fighting a fish and just as easily dropped back into the hole and it automatically aligns itself so that it is pointed down the hole.
[signature]
Some love the LCD type fish finders and others love the flasher type. I use both; however, my prefererence is a Marcum flasher. I prefer it over the Vexilar because one can move the zoom anywhere in the water column. Some anglers (as they have stated in this thread) get a headache watching a flasher. As has been suggested by others, you should go ice fishing a few times and walk around and talk to others using fish finders and have them explain what they like and dislike about their units and make your own judgment which way to go.
[signature]