Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black powder opener , who did what ?
Me , had to work ,tomorow too .
Come Sunday I'm out in the woods bright and early with 3 tags to fill and one set of tracks on the property .
What kind of gun you shooting ?
Me , wished I had my old "White Mountain" back , glad I got rid of the three pulls to shoot hawkins , using the encore now and it does a fair job .
[signature]
I havent gotten around to pulling out the black powder yet, still have my bow, and my targeted range of where I can shoot has not gotten any bigger with the leaf fall and fresh fallen snow.

I may still pull out the black powder, but the bow is always handy. thank heaven for bow triggers.
[signature]
Not me... I'm skippin the black powder and staying warm until late doe season kicks in.

(might go try for some cromers down to 6th street mid week.... I'll be sure to post a report if I do.
[signature]
I'm contimplating switching over to a crossbow , still Undecided about the change .
It's nothing to do with being lazy ,I have vision in one eye only and at my age the bi-focals have come into play . It's a pain in the rear to bend the frames back into shape after a release every now and then .
[signature]
First day off in two weeks and I sat in the stand from dawn to dusk without a break .
Saw plenty of squirrels , grouse ,turkeys , a cardinal , a fox, a mouse , mosquitoes, and plenty of deer tracks in the snow but not one deer during daylight .
My plans were a deer first thing this morning and steelhead fishing on the Manistee by 11 am .
It's all good though , I'm recharged for another week .
No late season in my county , bummer for me .
[signature]
I havent been out yet either,

I have my chair sitting in my front room by the window next to it on the floor a puddle of drule from where I sat watching the ice form on my lake.

I found an empty jar of penutbutter sitting next to a tree near by me will colm down those frustrated squrils. I put one out every time I go deer hunting any more, I pick it back up at night when I leave so I cant be accused of feeding the deer, "no laws about feading the squril to shut him up.[laugh]

I got tired of them barking at me from dawn to dusk and running circles around my head..

I am sure that has a lot to do with the deer not comming in to my zone...
[signature]
O.K. so I let all the little ones I saw go on by unharmed , all the big ones just outsmarted me by trail hopping from day to day .
I'm now down to bringing out the bow in some colder than an ex's stare weather .
The Mrs. has faith that I'll get one this weekend , I hope not to let her down because she loves her fried venison and taters .

You gotta come up and hunt these woods with me next year , bring the peanut butter [bobhappy] .
[signature]
your a better man than me, I took two little punkin eaters.

I still have one more antlerless tag and yet to see one with horns to fill even one of my two combo tags. for a total of 75.oo in deer tags.

I learnt a long time ago, antlerless tags are for putting meat on the table so fill it asap. This means the first thing that comes by. after 60 pounds of boneless freezer stock, I can afford to be more selective.

I have let the rest of the antlerless go by waiting for an old doe I have been seeing all fall to come in range. She is old and grey and travels alone. I am not on her trail, it isnt on the property I hunt, but it is in my veiw of site. So I do get to see her when she goes by, there is always the chance something could spook her and send her my way.

I do hug the property line fairly tight, but I wont shoot untill they step on the line. My shooting zone in the woods where sit is no bigger than the mowed area of your front yard. Bow and arrow during gun season is more than sufficent for my stand. But I like to use something with just a little more kick to it, 357 mag. "during reg deer season"

I have yet to fire the black bowder at anything.

they should be moving pretty good this weekend as should the fish being active as well.
[signature]
no late season shooting in my county , go figure .
Good luck on the powder shooting !
[signature]
I'll be headed out to the woods in a couple of days for the late doe gun season. Freezer is doing pretty good but I think one more nice doe will top it off just right.

How much you want to bet the 7 point that stayed just out of range of me all season long ... will now walk 10 feet from my blind?

I'm bringing my camera just in case he does. I've seen him several times this year without a good shot. Hopefully he makes the winter. Will be a nice trophy next year for sure.
[signature]