Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lee's Ferry?
anyone ever fish this? thinking of taking a guided trip with the Cliff Dwellers

[url "http://www.leesferry.com/"]http://www.leesferry.com/[/url]
[signature]
I worked with a young man that use to guide there. Looks awesome.
[signature]
what looks awesome.. Lees Ferry or or the guide you knew.. ?? [:p]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
BOTH! David is a cutie. We guided together at Falcon's Ledge.
[signature]
lol.. ya knew I had to ask sis... :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Never been but....

try listening to this:

[url "http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/wendy/wendy.cfm"]http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/speakers/wendy/wendy.cfm[/url]
[signature]
[center][#008000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][Image: happy.gif]Met them at a show last year.
Real nice people.[/size][/font][/#008000]

[/center]
[signature]
Its a fun place to visit, especially this time of year. NO ICE! At least, not very often. It's big water, of course. There's big gravel bars to get out on. Lots of nymph fishing. Winged bugs are mostly midges. Then, you have the typical worms, scuds, sow bugs, etc. I've had decent dry fly fishing with midges in the winter.

Do it if you can. It's a pretty canyon, its usually warmer than just about anything else around, and it has enough trout to keep you busy.

I've been considering a run down there in between my other winter trips. Still might. You need a motor boat to get up stream. There is a bit of wade access as well.
[signature]
I forgot about Terry and Wendy Gunn being there.
[signature]
Man, Lees Ferry looks FANTASTIC !!!!
I have been to that area (Page). Never in Lees Ferry but
from what I have seen...........Oh Yes.[Smile]
If you have a chance to go then just go and have a great
time.
Please post some pictures [angelic]

Peter
[signature]
Nice helpful people at Cliff Dwellers. They have rooms you can stay over night at as well. Not a lot of the restaurants are open in winter in the area. Cliff Dwellers has an extremely good one and they have kept it open in the past. The rainbows are spawning now so egg patterns are also very productive in addition to the others mentioned. They used to allow dogs in the wade in area but the rules changed a couple years ago. Locals seemed to ignore the change but I'd leave Fido home now. It's also a very pretty place to fish. But be warned after fishing it in winter it'll be much hardier to hit the ugly Weber when you get back. Just watch the weather and head down during a warmer spell. Don't forget the sunglasses and sunscreen even this time of year. Plenty of 12-20 inch fish but the one downside is it's overpopulated and they just don't get any bigger than that anymore.
[signature]
Is there a way of maybe hiking a little away from the main
overpopulated area in hopes of better fishing?
Lees Ferry in one place what I also HAVE TO fish one day.

Peter
[signature]
[Image: 9154NN.jpg]
[signature]
The fish are overpopulated not usually the people fishing. This stunts the fish. A 20 inch fish is nice but the Colorado is a big river and could have/ used to have much bigger fish before the numbers of fish where so high. But yes there are a couple trails you can hike into and fish the river away from the main walk in area if you want to do that. Not short hikes and you need to know which trails to take. They don't allow dogs once you leave BLM land and approach the river either. But really not a ton of access without a boat with a motor. Only way to float would be to be taken upstream and let off and float back with a kayak or something. Stopping and fishing the gravel bars as you go. If you float downstream from the put in spot no place to get out before the Grand Canyon unless you want to hike several miles up a steep trail dragging a kayak.
[signature]
Hmmmmmmmm. Thank you for the info. I think I would
stick with the trail on foot (no floating). Or hire a guide
for the day with a boat witch would very cool to see the canyon and fish it.
I really need to look into it a little deeper and take a trip
up there for few days.

Peter
[signature]