Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAM-X Care?
I have a RAM-X boat. It stays fairly dirty, as I store it outside. There are two things I need to know.

1. How can I protect the bottom of the boat from scratches when I beach it? I drive by myself, so I have no choice but to beach the boat while I grab my truck.

2. How can I protect the finish of it? Can you wax ram-x? I'm tempted to use Armerall, but I'm sure it won't last, and I imagine it could be bad for it.

Thanks,
Joel
[signature]
I've seen advertised in various fishing magazines a product which you put on the middle of the hull which protects the hull from scratches when you beach the boat. It's supposedly made for virtually all boats. I'll give you more information as soon as I find the advertisement again.
[signature]
there arent any docks by the boat launch?

joe
[signature]
There aren't any docs on many of the waters I use. It's a small boat, and mostly un-maintained bodies of water.

Also, one of the problems I have is getting the boat out of the water. I don't have a boat trailer, and drop it on a flat-bed trailer instead. But, I can't lift the boat by myself, so I end up dragging it just a bit. The scratches are killing me.

My dad saw, and purchased, some auto-body tape for me. Supposidly, this is the stuff that they put around the lower area of cars, then paint it. It's sort of like a thin "clear bra". I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks,
Joel
[signature]
Ever think about mounting some wagonwheels to the bottom so that when you're moving the boat it rolls instead of drags?

Hehe. Crazy idea but it just might work!

To quote Albert Einstein: If at first the idea is not absurd, there is no hope for it.
[signature]
I actually did try to mount wagon wheels on it. The Ram-X construction is not strong enough to support them, they just twist the sides of the boat. I'm starting to dislike this plastic stuff.

I'm starting to learn how to back it into the water now, so I basically burry my plat-bed trailer into the water. It works better, and I have fewer scratches.

For the small scratches I do get, 3M makes some clear duct tape, I'm thinking about trying...

Joel

[reply]
[signature]
What's the design on the RAM-X? Is it more of a v-hull shape or is it more of a racing boat type of shape? I haven't given up on finding that info for you. Just been busy fixin' the car lately. I'll have time to look for it today.
[signature]
It's a flat bottom boat. The sides obviously have a bit of shape, but I can draw it with characters like so:

Code:
\             /
\           /

That probably gives you a rough idea of the hull shape.
[signature]
Hmmm, this product I was thinking of won't do the trick then. Bring a blanket or rubber mat or something with you that you can lay down before grounding the boat.
[signature]
my neighbor mounted sawn mower wheels at the top on the back end of the boat. he rolls around it upside down. makes for easy loading in the truck and moving around the yard.
[signature]
Dave,

Your knowledge base just gave me a great idea! I should check with my buddy Darrell and see if he'd be willing to do that to his little aluminum boat. Forget loading it onto his flatbead trailor. Just put some trailor wheels on the back end and away we go!
[signature]
lol thats a good one, never herd of mounting a trailer axil to the rear of the boat and a hicth to the front. I can just emagine seing you in secertary of state trying to get a registration and license plate for this contraption. [Tongue]

if ya end up doing it I would like to see a picture on it. [sly][laugh]
[signature]
Well, ran the idea by Darrell and no go. Sorry Dave.

By the way, I need some technical help in posting the pics of my boat on here. How do I do it so you can just view it within the forum instead of clicking on the "attachment"?
[signature]
I posted the directions on your other post.
[signature]