Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dolphin Action Offshore in Miami, Florida
Where is all this wind coming from? With the exception of the heat and humidity, you would almost think that we are fishing in winter time sea conditions. Over the July 4th holiday, Nancy and I spent some time up in Stewart, Florida. I fished for snook at the St. Lucie Inlet with two close friends on their boat. We were not disappointed. The snook cooperated along with a flounder and goliath grouper. Back in Miami, we rescheduled two trips due to windy conditions that had the seas bigger than my customers wanted to fish in.

Saturday (7/12) was a half day offshore trip for dolphin. Everything was right except for the lack of dolphin. A few were being caught closer in and despite my running back in, I didn't find any. Most everyone else fishing offshore had the same results with a few exceptions. We ended the morning with one strike on the deep bait.

Sunday (7/13) was another half day offshore for dolphin. As the saying goes, "what a difference a day makes", definitely applied today. We found loads of birds working in the 8-9 mile range SE of Haulover Inlet. Eileen, Ellie, Faye, and Michael barely had time to catch their breath between dolphin attacks. The fish were on the move, so after catching from 4 to 8 fish, we had to catch up with them and start again. The birds made it quite easy. We only caught 1 fish trolling. The rest were caught by running up to the birds and then throwing a live bait into the feeding frenzy. Our bait included pilchards, sardines, small GI's, and small blue runners, so when you're bait fishing and you pull up a stringer of small runners just remember that they work great on dolphin also.

Dolphin fishing for the most part continues to be excellent. In on the reef, it is hot and cold. If running offshore is not in your plans, make sure that while fishing the reef area, you get at least one bait down deep. It could definitely make a difference.

And finally, I'm on the cover of the July 2003 edition of the Florida Sportsman Magazine. I'm the one holding the kingfish on the gaff.

Captain Dave Kostyo
Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
305 620-5896 Charter
305 732-2628 Beeper
www.knotnancy.com
nkostyo@bellsouth.net
[signature]