Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new, BRAND NEW.. well kinda
so, im not really new to this site but new to fly fishing and would LOVE to get into it. so any advice on what brand/type of rod/reel/line etc to start out would be GREATLY appreciated.. also any advice on tying flies or any kits that would be good to get to start tying..
[signature]
Rods, an 8 to 9 foot 5 wt. is a great all around rod, action/flex is up to you.
Reel, one with a good drag, however, need not cost an arm and a leg.
Line, don't skimp here. Get a good name brand. For one, will last longer, cast better and less memory.

Fly Tying kits, I saw what in my opinion was one of the better ones in that it has flies that are perfect for this area.
WAPSI Kit 1. Around $70. Vise would need to be changed out over time.

WELCOME!!!!!!
[signature]
awesome! i will have to look to see whats out there.. and i just found out something really cool. my buddy from high school is a member of the usa fly fishing team. so im trying to contact him to see if he can help me out too. his name is devon olsen.
as for what i need, what im going to be fishing for is probably most important in choosing which rod/reel/action im assuming? mainly im going to be going to the uintah lakes and possibly some streams and rivers.
[signature]
I know Devon, we worked at the lodge together one year.
Awesome dude!!!! And knows his fishing!
If you are talking Uintas, I would say a 3 or 4 wt. possibly even a 2, although 4 will be most versatile.
[signature]
oh really? yeah he is a very good friend, and yes he does know his fishing. we used to play ball together 3-4 times a week a few years ago when he wasnt fishing.
would a 4 wt be adequate enough for fishing the provo or weber?
[signature]
Yes a four would.

I remember one time at the Lodge. We had like 13 women from Idaho. We each had 3 women. I was on the big lake and he and his ladies were on the lake right next to us.
I hear him say "WOW!!!! I just threw up!" and thinking..."THANKS FOR SHARING THAT" You had to be there but it was funny.
[signature]
ok perfect, if possible could you look at some fairly inexpensive rod/reel combos that would be good to start me out? preferably from cabelas. ( doesnt have to be cabelas brand )
HAHA!! Thats Devon for ya. Thats kinda how we all grew up, no boundaries lol.. i remember right after i graduated i believe it was, hearing that he was fishing and a herd of cows that were grazing walked through his favorite fishing hole and he then wouldnt eat beef for it seemed like almost a year.
[signature]
where do ya live? we could meet up at sportsmans in Ogden or Anglers Den some time this week after 4pm and go over a few things... like it was said this doesent need to cost you an arm and a leg, but DONT skimp out on the line
[signature]
i live in murray. i dont have any money right now due to christmas and being unemployed. im gettin unemployment, but its not much so i will have to get little by little. or know what exactly what im going to buy and save the exact amount i need.
[signature]
you wouldent have to buy anything lol. let me know and we could go over some basics.
[signature]
ok sounds good. im pretty busy this week with christmas, but maybe next week?
[signature]
that should be fine... will only take a few to look over some stuff at sportsmans and anglers den to get an idea of where you can start price wise and such
[signature]
I just started out this past summer and I am using a Cabela's Genesis 5wt 8'6" reel/rod combo. On sale, the combo kit was $100 and has served me well. I have landed a 20" rainbow on the Provo, big browns in the Grand Tetons, a smallish carp on Utah Lake, small browns and stocked rainbows on Tibble Fork, and hubcap bluegills at a private pond.

The rod tip broke after four months of heavy use and laziness when breaking ice off the guides. Cabela's gave me a new rod/reel just before Thanksgiving since it was withing the 1 year warranty. I searched their website and it doesn't look like they carry it any more online, but the Lehi store might still have some in stock.

Aside from the rod, reel, and line, the kit came with a rod/reel case, a couple trout flies, 3 9ft leaders, 3 yarn indicators, flotant gel, a small chest pack, 1 clipper, and a couple other items. Overall, it was a great way to get started. I only had to buy additional tippet and flies.

I am barely at the point where I need to upgrade to a better line and maybe a new reel.

As for fly tying, I built my own kit mainly at the suggestion of a co-worker who had previously worked as a guide and professional fly tyer. I got a Regal-knock off from jsflyfishing.com (http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item...-Vise.html). From there, I simply got enough materials for the flies (and sizes) that I wanted to tie and fish with: Zebra midge, Pheasant Tail, Hare's Ear, Glo Bug, San Juan Worm. Add threads, hooks, bead heads, and tools, you'll be in about $100. That is probably a little bit more than most starter kits, but the nice thing is that I know that I can and will use all the materials in my starter kit. I will still buy most dry flies that I fish with, which isn't too often.
[signature]
[quote bigbabyfish]ok perfect, if possible could you look at some fairly inexpensive rod/reel combos that would be good to start me out? preferably from cabelas. ( doesnt have to be cabelas brand )
[/quote]

I purchased a $99.00 combo from Cabelas, it sucked all the way around. The reel would not keep the line in it. The rod was worthless. Don't waist your money. Trust me its not worth it. Took it back the next week.

Fly Goddess sugested that I look at TFO rods and Martin Reels. I love mine. TFO Pro 159.00 and Martin Reel was under 30.00. 80 bucks more and you get a very nice outfit.

Thanks for the great advise FG!!

[Smile]
[signature]
oh. well i wont spend the little bit of $$ to get a cheap setup when i can spend a bit more and get alot better quality gear. i found a couple pieces on cabelas website, and after talking to a buddy of mine about gear he suggested these 2 pieces to start out. he said they obviously werent the top of the line, but more than adequate enough to start out and keep for a long time.

here is the reel.
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat602040&id=0022987317080a&navCount=4&podId=0022987&parentId=cat602040&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat602040&id=0022987317080a&navCount=4&podId=0022987&parentId=cat602040&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true[/url]

here is the rod
[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat600020&id=0029716317212a&navCount=9&podId=0029716&parentId=cat600020&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600020&hasJS=true"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat600020&id=0029716317212a&navCount=9&podId=0029716&parentId=cat600020&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600020&hasJS=true[/url]
[signature]
Hard to beat TFO. Warranty is pretty sweet also.
I was going to suggest Orvis Mid Arbor which is really close to that Pflueger, but it is $10. more and heck, they both are Asian.

The BBS on the other hand has a great reputation and is in the Price range.
[signature]
I used too say Cabelas but there warranty is not what it use too be so I can no longer say Cabelas THE WARRANTY JUST IS NOT THERE ANY MORE BOO
I could go off about this for days but I just get sick thinking about it Ive spent good money there and there like 2 year warranty or some junk like that now BOO Im Old School Cableas and there Warranty was basically why I shopped there but I wont No More most likely.
My advise is watch around yard sales and stuff you would surpised what people just stick in a pile of junk.
I got pimpn hardy bros SA reel for a few bucks and lami rod for dirt cheap If you got the time and low on funds this will be your best bet too a sick set up Or if you just like too junk shop like me I personally I do BUT trust me its so easy too find a killer vintage set up that just owns.
Ive baught a couple of old aluminum boxs full of flys for 20 bucks I couldnt even touch the price of just one of these boxs for 20 bucks new in store.
I could go on for a bit but ill cut this short and too the point
being new too the game get a moderate rod there more forgiving and still give u plenty of distance too cast always put your money on the line and a fly reel is just a glorified pop can... Yes a new tech rod will out cast old school rods but its not about how far you can cast its how your line dances and lands. Theres something that just feels right when your fishing small streams and rivers with 4 wt or smaller vintage rod and reel.
If you want too know more about fly fishing flygoddess will be a good person too ask im available once and awhile so good luck PS Im no expert I am just a guy who spends alot of time at his hobbies
[signature]