Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asian Carp Update ...
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#003366]Cox Asks U.S. Supreme Court for Immediate Action to Stop Asian Carp from Entering Great Lakes [/#003366][/font][font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#003366]Contact: [/#003366][/font] [font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]John Sellek or Nick De Leeuw 517-373-8060[/black][/font]

[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]
[font "Arial"][size 2]December 21, 2009[/size][/font]

[size 2]DETROIT[/size][size 2] - [/size][size 2]Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox today announced he has asked the United States Supreme Court to immediately order federal, state, and local officials responsible for Chicago-area locks and waterways to close them in order to[/size][size 2] stop Asian carp from entering the Great Lakes. The fish are an aggressive invasive species that could quickly devastate Great Lakes fish populations, causing severe damage to Michigan's economy by ruining the Great Lakes' $7 billion fishing and tourism industries.[/size]
[size 2]"Stopping Asian carp is an economic and environmental necessity for Michigan," said Cox. "The Great Lakes are an irreplaceable resource. Thousands of jobs are at stake and we will not get a second chance once the carp enter Lake Michigan."[/size]
[size 2]"The actions of Illinois and federal authorities have not been enough to assure us the Lakes are safe," Cox continued. "That's why the waterways must be shut down until we are assured that Michigan will be protected." [/size]
[size 2]Cox today filed suit in the U.S. Supreme Court asking for the following actions:[/size]

[ul][li]
[size 2]Closure of the locks at the O'Brien Lock and Dam and the Chicago Controlling Works[/size]
[/li][/ul]
[size 2] [/size]

[ul][li]
[size 2]Operation of the sluice gates at the Wilmette Pumping Station, the O'Brien Lock and Dam, and the Chicago Controlling Works in a manner that will prevent carp from passing into Lake Michigan[/size]
[/li][/ul]
[size 2] [/size]

[ul][li]
[size 2]Creation of new barriers to prevent carp from escaping from the Des Plaines River into the Chicago Sanitary and Shipping Canal during flood events, and from getting to Lake Michigan through the Grand and Little Calumet Rivers[/size]
[/li][/ul]
[size 2] [/size]

[ul][li]
[size 2]Comprehensive study of the Chicago waterway system to define where and how many carp are in these waters, and to eradicate them[/size]
[/li][/ul]
[size 2] [/size]

[ul][li]
[size 2]Action to permanently separate these waterways from the Great Lakes.[/size]
[/li][/ul]
[size 2] [/size]
[size 2]The suit comes after Illinois and federal authorities reportedly executed the largest fish kill in Illinois history in response to the discovery of Asian carp DNA just miles from Lake Michigan. That action uncovered a carp near the electrical barrier, causing Cox to call for immediate action to once and for all address the potential devastation of the Great Lakes, before it is too late.[/size]
[size 2] "The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers has itself admitted allowing Asian carp into the Great Lakes would be an "ecological and economic disaster,"" said Cox. "Michigan families whose jobs and way of life depend on the health of the Great Lakes deserve to know there is a long-term solution to this crisis." [/size]
[size 2]Attorney Cox has appointed veteran assistant attorneys general Peter Manning and Robert Reichel to lead the team of lawyers handling this case[/size]. [size 2]Cox's office has aggressively protected Michigan's water resources, previously suing the federal government multiple times to compel them to address the threat to our waters from invasives. He also went to court to successfully defend Michigan's first-in-the-nation ballast water statute.[/size]
[size 2] [/size]
[/black][/font]
[signature]
Cox is barking up the right tree if he wants to get elected next year.

problem is, there is no Down River Law in this country let alone in this state.

A down river law would be a law that would impose fines and cost on to a comunity that dose not stop an invasive substance be it a fish or a toxin to go down or up river.

It is the lack of this law that has allowed invasive species not to mention some of the narliest sewer dumpings in to the water ways that effect every one both up and down river...

I vote, "pass a down river law"
[signature]
I see Obama decided to go for strike one today.

he offered opposition to preventing the asian carp from entering the great lakes and destroying fisheries that extend to the artic circle. Yes well in to canada. once they reach the great lakes they gain access to 2/3ds of north americas waterways.

the single greatest agricultural threat in the last hundred years now is at the door step of this president and he offers no solution to a major threat that will cut in to fisheries not just recreational but industrial as well, not to mention the canadian fisheries and the diplomatic issues therein. This is preceived to be the case because of loyalty to his home state.

This is just as important an issue as the pond scum who attempted to blow up a plain over the city of detroit.

I guarentee that Obama will be remembered for this issue, not only at the next election but for all times to come. He will be remembered as the one man who had the power to put an end to the natural devistation and did nothing for the sake of greed.
[signature]
That's just one step to stop us from fishing any place ..watch and see ..it's already happening in the great U.S of A
[signature]
thats peta for ya, they will kill off all the fish just to fix it so you cant go fishing. [pirate]
[signature]
Canada stepped up to the plate today to place political and diplomatic concerns to the white house.

Hopefuly this will be enuff to get the whitehouse to step up to their responcibility of stopping this disaster to nature and ecconomic loss from comming to be.
[signature]
Hey Guys,

I've been living in a hole the last few months and just saw this on TV today and started doing some research.. I had seen videos on YT with fish leaping out of the water and people bow hunting them in the air, but no one on the videos explained what they were or where they came from.. Apparently these things aren't as 'cool' as I originally thought..

Other than getting the word out, and trying to put pressure on people that are hell bent on doing whatever they want any way, what else can we do?? Are we allowed to simply kill off as many as we can catch?? I know in some areas there are no catch limits on Asian Carp, or at least DNR looks the other way when you are catching them..

I'm actually planning to haul my boat up to Chicago and fish the Chicago rive a few times this summer and am thinking I could help a 'bit' by whacking a few of these things..
[signature]
if theses things get in the great lakes..the affects would be devastating..we have many thousands of charters that do buisness on the great lakes..and many more guides on the inland watters..these things get in they will destroy the fishing and whats left of michigans economy...yes they have to be stopped..
[signature]
A couple guys I know over in Chicago did hear it's already too late , the fish are "suposed to have been spotted " jumping in the lake along the shore line of Chigago .
I can't say it is true or not but if it is we are in for some big changes .
What do we do stop them at the big mac next ?
[signature]
well...they have never wstoped any of the other evasive species that have entered the great lakes in the past.i have my doughts that they can stop this one either...im also afraid these carp will be the tipping point of the great lakes ecosystem..thing wil change forever..scares me..
[signature]
It is posible your guy has seen salmon or even comon uropiean carp jumping and not the asians.

comon carp do jump, I have watched them do it, not that I am any more fond of them either...

if they do get in to our water system we can only hope that they will cross breed and become steril and cancil each other out...
[signature]
O.K. , if they cross breed we are in for some serious big nasty fish .
asian carp , Buffalo carp , would that be a asian water buffalo carp [Image: happy.gif] ?
carp state records can be broken (carp 61.8 oz. ,& 45lbs) ,
Buffalo's 24.12, & 33.4 .
[signature]
thats interesting...100 pound flying carp..i think id give up salmon to fish those..
[signature]
Sterile fish would be good, but I bet it doesn't happen..

I have friends in Chicago, and Michigan, and obviously here in Indiana.. And its sort of funny to hear all the various theories on this.. Some of the guys in Chicago don't see it as a big deal, generally they take it as, oh its just a few fish getting in there, not enough to breed and cause any problems..

And the guys on the Michigan side don't want to see a single Asian Carp in Lake Michigan.. Personally, I have no clue, but I can't imagine that an invasive species can be good.. I've seen enough problems with people planting invasive varieties of trees and watching those take over.. And trees don't really move much after you plant them..

[Image: treebeard-action-figure-lord-of-the-ring...e-king.jpg]
[signature]
aint that the truth, just try cutting down a chinese elm. or a gispy palm. see how many years you spend cutting it down over and over...

there was a brief on the news yesterday. Granholm and 4 other stats area now putting together a law suit because the president and our elected snub noses, snubbed this dire travisty in favor of wall street...

wall street would still make money if they had to go the other way around the way they used to. maybe not as much, they still wouldnt loose a dime on it.. they never do,
[signature]
Wouldn't this come under a stimulus package with all the new construction needed to stop the fish??

But then most people will view it as just a few "rich fishermen" complaining about their "hobby" being affected by a "few" fish.. Too bad 30 years from now they will be bitching about the great lakes being ruined and needed to spend billions to save it now that its an emergency rather than spending a little bit now..
[signature]
Let's not forget this this bugger
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...150406.htm
[signature]
dont even get me started on those things... [mad]

if it wasnt bad enuff that we got the sea lampries....
[signature]
http://www.wnem.com/news/22495163/detail.html#
[signature]