Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provo golf course pond?
Anybody ever fished the pond at Provo's golf course there on the south end of town? What about the little stream (hobble creek?) that runs behind all those businesses? Not to mention is it legal to even fish that pond?
[signature]
There's carp in there. Doubt much else.
[signature]
I have heard rumor of huge browns in those ponds but it is ilegal and you will get caught. The areas around there that are not on the course are good for white bass, catfish, and carp.
[signature]
I used to work in that area and fished it alot on my lunch breaks. I have caught alot of carp, some bass, sunfish, white bass, and even caught a walleye one morning before work on my flyrod. The action for carp in the summer on a flyrod is very fast and fun.
[signature]
Back when I was younger a friend and I used to take our fly rods and fish the ponds right next to the club house at Eastbay for carp. I'm not sure the golfers appreciated it too much, but nobody ever came and said anything to us. We just figured if they weren't happy about it, they'd come tell us to leave.

Things you do when you're young and dumb. I've heard the surrounding ponds off the course are loaded as well, but never ventured there myself. I'd probably stick to those rather than on the course itself.
[signature]
Illegal how? It's a public golf course and those are public waters containing public fish.
You may want to re-read the UT supreme courts decision involving the Conasters and the way the ruling effected public access to waters of the state.
[signature]
When I was younger I'd throw a ice fishing rod in my bag when I'd shoot a round of golf, just in case I would come up on a pond with some fish ha ha.
[signature]
what ruling and please describe troll?
[signature]
As long as you can get there without trespassing. You cannot just walk out on the golf course. Whether to golf or to fish. It is a municipal course, not a public course.
[signature]
Conaster vs Johnson
[url "http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/...n/conatser071808.pdf"]http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/...n/conatser071808.pdf[/url]

The course is owned by the city of Provo as a recreational facility. So it is public property and is intended to be used for recreation, clearly covered by Conaster vs Johnson.
[signature]
Are you talking the ponds that are close to the Novell building? If so, there used to be another pond there that I regularly caught largies out of. other than that, I've only ever got bluegill and carp to tangle
[signature]
Just like a community pool, there are access fees, and rules. You cannot just walk on to the golf course and golf. You cannot just walk in to the swimming pool any time that you want to and swim without paying a fee. I don't think the Conaster decision allows anyone the right to walk across the golf course and fish the ponds. If there is a stream, that you can access at a public easement and follow it ( without getting out of the stream bed ) then you can probably fish the pond. You may still have other issues to deal with. Golfers accept responsibility for their own safety when they pay their greens fees. They acknowledge the risk of being hit by a golf ball while on the course, and absolve the city of responsibility. If you don't pay the fee, and therefore accept that responsibility, you may be asked to leave the property.
[signature]
There are a couple of Ponds to the South end along the stream/canal that you can access by parking on the highway and walking down a trail on the south side of the stream - sometimes under low overhanging trees. You end up between two large ponds and can get almost all the way to the edge of the freeway from there. At least that's how it was 5 or 6 years ago. I checked it out once but it looked so shallow and muddy that the only thing you could expect to catch was carp so I never bothered to go back to fish there.
[signature]