Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12/24 Hyrum Not to Late I hope
Dec 24...We were headed to Mantua but as we approached the Mantua exit said heck let's go to Hyrum. Arrived at Hyrum about 8:45 balmy 5*.

Headed out via the boat ramp just shy of the buoys. Punched the first hole (farthest hole out) ice about 4.5" decided we wouldn't venture out any farther. Didn't see any tracks going out past the buoys everyone was staying close to shore.

I punched 8 holes from 35' to 11'. Picked up fish on the Vexilar in all holes when we dropped the transducer down for a lookee-see...dropped the lines down and it was really non-stop biting...but only dink Perch nothing over 5" mostly this years model.

Managed 3 small Bows losing one at the hole. Largest bow was possibly 13" released them all. All bows looked healthy and were caught either on the bottom 24-35' or picked up in the water column when we noticed it on the Vexilar at about 15'

Lures used were chartreuse #10 Nuclear Ants tipped with waxie.

Folks came up and chit chatted and all said the same about catch'n dink Perch. Think'n they may be out deeper but I wasn't about to go out any deeper than where we were.

Called it at 3pm and when we pulled out it was 13*. One gentlemen who visited us stated that it's suppose to get -10* the next couple of nights so that will help with the ice making. I'm sure the ice is thicker now 26 Dec.

Saw Folks fish'n farther east off the swim beach and it looked like farther down off the old cars also a few fish'n up by the dam. Didn't see anyone on the South shoreline.

All in all it was a good first outing got the lines wet and had tugs on our lines with visits topside.

Look'n forward to the next adventure on the hard deck.
[signature]