Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reel Questions
I just purchased a Pflueger President XT reel i wanted to know if anyone has heard anything about them or has used them.. I am hoping that they can withstand the Salmon run.[fishin]
[signature]
I have seen all kinds and sizes of reels out there on the river salmon fishing.

the particular reel you are speaking of, I dont know about, it is a newer model. How ever, one thing you want to make sure of, when fishing for salmon, you want a reel that is rated for at least 25-30 pound test line,

even if you are going to fish with lighter line, you never know when you may end up trolling or using a set line rig or run in to a stergeon.

I ran in to my neigbor up on the river this year, I was suprised to run in to him, he had a reel that was compleatly stripped of its gears. It was only rated for 12 pound.

true most of the salmon you run in to are in the 10-15 pound class, there are some 30 pounders the will give you a workout.

[ul][li]Did you get the red one or the gold one?[/li][/ul]

as for your model, you can check to see what line it is rated for, if you like that style you can usualy go back to the store to get the model rated for the line you require.

This is what the manufacture says about it.
Pflueger’s smooth-handling President XT Spinning Reels feature lightweight aluminum construction to deliver outstanding strength and toughness without the extra weight. Suitable for both heavy freshwater and medium saltwater applications, the Pflueger President XT Spinning Reels are built with dependable, corrosion-resistant components to ensure you’re able to enjoy the premium President XT performance for years to come. The President XT’s nine stainless steel ball bearing system includes a one-way clutch instant anti-reverse bearing, all precisely positioned to maximize performance. The anodized aluminum spool offers a distinctive hole pattern to reduce weight, and the Sure-Click™ Bail helps prevent premature bail trip.

[ul]Features: [li]9 stainless steel ball bearings [li]1-way instant anti-reverse bearing [li]Lightweight aluminum construction [li]Anodized aluminum spool [li]Large diameter titanium coated line roller [li]Sure-Click bail [li]Corrosion-resistant stainless steel shaft and components [li]Machined aluminum handle with soft touch knob [li]On/Off anti-reverse [li]Includes a spare aluminum spool [/li][/ul]
[signature]
The one that I have is a red one the line capasity on the spool says that it will hold 230 yds of 17 lb test it is the 6760XT.
[signature]
I would call that a good walleye reel, or a light salmon reel.

Load it with 14 pound test, unless lurch says different. he fishes the grand more than I and would know better.
[signature]
Now I use Shimano reels , Stradic and Sustain models .
Steelhead on as little as 4# test , Kings on as little as 8# test in the early season , later when combat fishing comes into play 14# and 17# test line will probably be a necessary line to have with you .
A little pricey but well worth the investment on the Shimano reels , never had one fail yet . Just as smooth in -10 degree temps as it is in the blistering 90 weather of summer .
There is a Sustain on the donate , trade or sell board , usually the 2500 model goes for $275.00 , this guy is selling his for $150.00 .
[signature]
yah, deffeanatly a good idea to stay away from the 29.oo and under reels, they work ok for a short time, but in the long run you will end up haveing to replace them more often.

a good reel will last you a good 10 - 20 years no problems if you keep them cleaned.

find a modle on the floor and test the drag when ever posible, it should be smooth and not bumpity when pulling the line.

if the drag tightens when you pull on it, that will surely guarentee a brokel line, lost fish and posibly a broken rod.

You have to test even the best quality reels for this, you need to know if there is a manufactures defect before hitting the water.

On a used reel if you find the drag bumpity or tightening down or loosening there is a couple things that can cause it, one is that it is in dire need of cleaning or two there is a machanical failure wich requires attendion.

It can be something as simple as a grain of sand that has found its way in to the glide shim washer or something major like a broken tooth in side the reel. In any case you need to have a reel in good working order before you hit the water.
[signature]
Yep , Salmon and Steelhead are like fighting a huge carp on steroids , a bad drag system can ruin your day in one run .
I've seen reels come apart on guys fishing , seen rods snap like twigs too . I'm used to loosing a fish or two with the lighter lines I use but I can live with it with all the extra hook ups I get .
[signature]