Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua...Finally!
Finally got out to Mantua today thanks to LoanFish who lent me his waders. It is a beautiful place. Fished it from my tube mainly around the North east side. Had to ask the locals for directions on how to get out there.

The dirt road out to the area reminds me of those good old days of small game hunting. Fields, wooden fences, and lots of game. On the drive up there I saw some pheasant, rabbits and a big old rattler that I could have done without seeing. After I unloaded my stuff armed with my fishing rod to wack the grass it took me a good 20 minuites to get down to the water.[blush]

Got there about 4:00pm and the little bad boys were breaking. caught a quick 5 on a black and white 2" popper. This was all after kicking thorough what seemed to be an endless forest of weeds. Then the wind started blowing something fierce and I could hear the thunder and see the lightning flashes behind the mountains. I paddled to shore and waited it out. It got nice and calm again paddled back out and caught at least 10 more before it was time to go and the wind kicked up again and this time it poured! It took me a while to catch the other 10 or so not as fast as before the wind blew through. The surface action also stopped. The weather probably turned them off.

All the Bass were 12" or less and entertaining. I enjoyed the catching and the floating as well as the sight seeing. I paused on occasion to watch the deer grazing on the hill. Tryed making funny noises thinking I could call them over. They would just look over at me like I was loco [Tongue]

As far as I can tell no swimmers itch, I guess loan fish is the only one on the board appetizing to the "Mantua bug"[shocked][Tongue][Wink]

Al
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Man, I hate those rattlers! We used to fish lefthand fork of the Blacksmith and that place is full of them some years! If they'll buzz a ways out that's not so bad but when they buzz within striking distance that gives me cold chills![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I have some friends who live in Mantua and they love the place. It's a pretty little community and reservior. The down side of Mantua is "RoboCop". That place is a speed trap with NO tolerance to breaking the speed limit, even by 1 mph![/size][/font]
[signature]
hustler,

[Wink]Sounds like you had an eventfull trip. I wonder if that rattler was the same guy that Bud and I had a run in with? Was he near the end of the road? Did you make it out to the point? Mantua got you hooked? Bud and I will be looking for you when we go next. These storms are going to make it chancey unless we go in the a.m. I'm going to have to try top water stuff next time. Were you using spinning gear or fly rod?

[crazy]Leaky
Mice job Al. Sounds like you had some fun. You, Petty, and I and maybe a couple of other guys ought to go up there and sorelip some lmb soon.[cool]

HUH what do you guys think Mantua next week?[Wink]
[signature]
I also forgot to mention the dead skunk hanging form a noose on a wooden post near the locked gate. [Smile] What's the purpose of that? Who would take the trouble to hang a smelly skunk unless there is a reason? The rattler was on the dirt road about half ways from the locked gate and that road to the left you see as your driving up there. There is an open gate but it says private property and goes away from the water. I was in the truck when I saw him, he was out in the dirt staring at the truck and rattling away. I wonder if he struck at the truck as I went by.[Wink] I just paused a few to get a look at him. Never seen one alive before. He was strangely close to some of the pheasant I saw. Wonder if he was pondering a meal.

I was using a spinning outfit with 8 pnd line medium light action. I'm happy I decided not to use my ultra light gear cause they would bite and take you in the weeds. Feels like your pulling in a 10 pounder sometimes.

I'm wondering if I went up the right road. I got on the road that went along West side of the lake to the North, I think it was 700. I then hit a locked gate and had to carry my gear along ways until I hit another locked gate that said private property. I hopped this gate and went straight down to the water. It was a muddy smelly bank. Kind of smelled like manure and choked with weeds. Somewhere along the North eastern side of the lake but I had to paddle a long time to get to the South side of the first bay.

The nice woman I spoke to told me I could drive to town and get up where I wanted to go by getting on a road that goes North along the east side. I'm wondering if this was the road you where directing me too. Mantua is a nice place! Not sure if I'm hooked yet. It was difficult getting my gear to the water. It was a long ways. I was fishing extremely far from my entry point and vehicle. It's an hour and a half drive from my home. The experience was somewhat tense with the storms and wind. I have to do it again and do it right. Enter from the right place and avoid the storms and wind. I really had to fight to get back to shore, especially with a ton of grass weighing me down.

I did make it out to the point but stayed to the south side of the first bay. The wind was just too strong.

Al
[signature]
Hustler,

[unsure]I'm not sure if you were on the right road or not!? If you want, I could meet you sometime and we could do it together! I'll pm some directions again to see if that helps and not take up space here.

[crazy]Leaky
[cool]Hey, Leaky, did you include directions on how to find that rattler? Think it is your old buddy...or just one of the local population?
[signature]
Dude,

Yep, I did provide directions to my rattler but don't know if he was at the right spot. LOL Could be one of the population, who knows!!!! All I know is the one I saw was a very, very big mother ronny!!!! I look for him everytime I go!!!!! If I'm alone I'm going to capture him and see if the zoo, etc. want him after I observe him a while. Hope the wife doesn't catch me or I won't have a wife!!!!!! Probably best that I don't, not smart, right? Probably will catch and release at the spot. A lot of male bravado, ego, stupidity, etc. I've alwas had an attraction to wild things. After raising kids, you'd think I'd have enough!!!!!! LMAO

[crazy]Leaky
[cool]LMAO???? Why, Leaky, you old sonuvagun, you be pickin' right up on dat cool lingo and stuff.

I know you know about being careful with Mr. Buzztail. So, I won't give you any advice. You're older than me anyway and should know better.

Reminds me of when my family first moved to Boulder City, NV, from Idaho, when I was about 11. I immediately fell in love with the desert and started collecting all kinds of lizards, snakes and creepie crawlies. Like yourself, I have always had a fascination with the wildlife.

Problem was, my mother could not "abide" reptiles in any form. So, the snakes had to go...although I was allowed to keep a couple of special pet lizards. However, when I had the opportunity to safely capture a three foot rattler, I couldn't resist. I sneaked him home and into a special wire cage I had made for some kanagaroo rats...that I had already released.

I lifted up the skirting on the mobile home we were living in and pushed the new acquisition back a couple of feet under the house. About an hour later, while reading a comic book, inside where it was cooler, I learned some new words...after hearing a loud thump and some other commotion. My dad had come home from work and when he went to get a shovel from under the house...where my new friend was living...my new friend greeted him with a lovely rendition of "Lady of Spain" on its rattles.

Needless to say, my parental popularity took a sudden nosedive and my forays into the surrounding desert were somewhat limited for awhile. My new friend? He was dispatched by a father who grew up thinking that the only good snake is a dead snake. After that blast from dad's shotgun he was good and dead.

TubeBabe and I do a lot of desert hiking down here. We have seen hundreds of rattlers, gila monsters, scorpions, tarantulas and other lovelies. TubeBabe is not a big fan of snakes. In fact, whenever she hits high C, I don't say "What is it?", I say "Where is it?" She has gotten much more mellow the last few years though. She will watch a snake from a few feet away, while I talk it into posing for a picture. But, I think I am safe in predicting that we will never have a snake named spot.
[signature]