Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly reels cleaning
So I have some time off and not much to do. So I taught
that I may clean and service some of my FF gear.
Pulled out my reels and cleaned them, check the backing.
What alse can I do to my reels to service them ?

Peter
[signature]
Dress the line and Lube the reels?
[signature]
How do you dress the line ? Please.
[signature]
There is a bunch out there.
I use GLIDE or ZIP CAST. It is a thick liquid. I put a bit on and rag and slide the line through it. It helps if you have a line winder. Then I run it through a dry cloth to wipe it off. I will usually wipe it off or buff it twice.

Even if the line is self cleaning this helps. It really makes it smooth.
[signature]
Oh and when your done with yours, can you come and do mine?

This is JUST mine (not my hubbies) minus one that is on my 8 weight for the Carpage.

[Image: IMG_2282.jpg]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]There is a bunch out there.
I use GLIDE or ZIP CAST. It is a thick liquid. I put a bit on and rag and slide the line through it. It helps if you have a line winder. Then I run it through a dry cloth to wipe it off. I will usually wipe it off or buff it twice.

Even if the line is self cleaning this helps. It really makes it smooth.[/quote]

Cool, sounds good. I will p/u some from my fly shop.
Thank you girl.
[signature]
Thats a nice collection of reels and spools.[Smile] The way I see it, after few more years of FF I will have a nice collection as well.............
That kinda stuff just reproduces on its own.[Smile]

Peter
[signature]
Yea, scary how quickly they can multiply!!!
[signature]
FG,

Good reminder about treating my lines before my trip next week.

Looks like you're practicing unprotected reeling. You have to keep the case on them to prevent them from multiplying.[Wink]

I'm trying to keep my collection to as few reels as possible and go with multiple spools.
[signature]
at the average of 1 new reel per year we can almost figure out how long youve been fly fishing..to bad i ran out of fingers and toes to count[Smile]
[signature]
Jim_T wrote:[/quote]
FG,

Good reminder about treating my lines before my trip next week.

Looks like you're practicing unprotected reeling. You have to keep the case on them to prevent them from multiplying.[Wink]

I'm trying to keep my collection to as few reels as possible and go with multiple spools.[/quote]

I can fully understand the multiple spools BUT what if
your reel goes out ? Then you on the water with many
spools but no reel to put them on.
I know that "good" reel does't brake very easily but what if..........
Just asking.

Peter
[signature]
i ALWAYS carry a spare rod and reel, along with a spare spool for the spare reel both loaded with spare backing and line, and an emergancy fly box with about 60 flies in it (run of the mill and go to flys) in case i drop/lose a box...... you can never have to many back ups..... hence the extra clip of 45 ACP thats with me at all time!
[signature]
I carry a first aide kit for the occasion. I have a little bag with the Shimazaki Leader Splicer, some tippet, UV Knot Sense, UV Wader patch, and ferrule wax.
Plus a spare rod and reel/line for back up.

A box with the go tos is great idea.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]I load everything but the kitchen sink. Better than saying shouda, coulda & why didn't I bring the XX.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I use to when we had the van. Why not, have plenty of room. But with all the car break ins, I changed my toon.
Just one back up now.

There are some very honest people out there though. Alan left the keys IN the door. We went to fish, when we came back, there was a note on the windshield with the keys in it. They mentioned they DIDN'T open the door.

Everything was where it was. Very cool.
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]Sort of renews one faith in human nature.[Image: happy.gif][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
you were lucky.. but then again I still feel the greater majority of people are honest..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
With risk of being POLITICALLY out of place with this, I PRAY they are more honest, and my prayers do get answered, how cool s that[Wink]
[signature]
personally I dont bide by that PC stuff... if you say you beleive or pray.. is cool with me.. [cool] ..

and I agree with you.. in most cases I am right.. but there are always an exception and its those people that get all the attention..

MacFly
[signature]
FlyGoddess, do you think you have enough reels? LOL!!! Do you want to sell me some????
[signature]