Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crazy winter tube project ?
So, is anyone working on some kinda crazy float
tube project this winter? Like installing rod holders,
dinner tray, small fireplace or something?
I'm very sure that Pat (TD) is working on some secret
project.............[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
I am thinking the majority have bed the tubes down for the winter and into walking on water. New ice shack, auger, grub...that sort of thing.[cool]
The NEW FRONTIER! Keeps life exciting.[laugh]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have some diagrams and sketches ready for some new projects. But, due to recent developments in national security interests I cannot share them on a public forum. They might be seen by Homeland Security who are likely to confuse them with plans for a secret weapon or a terrorist attack.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]I have some diagrams and sketches ready for some new projects. But, due to recent developments in national security interests I cannot share them on a public forum. They might be seen by Homeland Security who are likely to confuse them with plans for a secret weapon or a terrorist attack.[/#0000ff][/quote]

[Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]I am thinking the majority have bed the tubes down for the winter and into walking on water. New ice shack, auger, grub...that sort of thing.[cool]
The NEW FRONTIER! Keeps life exciting.[laugh][/quote]

New frontier is allways good.[Smile]
[signature]
I have built a small hand held trolling motor that I use on my float tube. I used a prop from an old trolling motor and connected it to a 3/8" all thread rod, put a piece of 1/2 inch pvc over the rod and connected it to a cordless drill. I tried it in my gardon pond and it really pulls,(or pushes), I haven't had chance to really try it in my tube. The drill can be stored in a pouch and the prop straps on the tube. I think it will work good to get to or from the spot you tend to fish. Even if you have to cross the whole pond. If anyone interested, I will enclose pics.
[signature]
I was the lucky eBay winner... and have a new ODC-420 on the way! Since then, I've been researching/reviewing all the set-ups in the archives... [cool]

My needs are pretty simple though... usually just fish small farm ponds or very small reservoirs as I have a small (14') aluminum boat for the "bigger" waters. My plans are for only two rod-holders - one on the LH side for the "spare" and one holder on the RH side for the "active" rod.

Although it may change after I see what I've got... at this point I plan on carring all the "tools"/lures in the tube-pockets.

TD has shared some flasher mounting pictures with me... so without the relatively substantial rod-racks that some have, I will be trying to rig up some kind of "stand-alone" mount for JUST my flasher.

TD uses a Humminbird 565... and that happens to also be the same flasher/finder that I have in my little boat. I already have spare/back-up cabling and transducer that I'll use for my tube... My goal is to have a set-up that would enable me to transfer the 565 from boat-to-tube-to-boat. But until the new tube arrives, it's all just in the dreaming/want-to-do stages for now...

Bob
[signature]
You are going to enjoy the 420! I took mine today for a "spin" around the lake. Didn't catch anything but it was good.

Mine is setup for 3 rods and a fishin' buddy but lately I have been taking just two so I am downsizing a bit.
[signature]
[quote 123ups]I have built a small hand held trolling motor that I use on my float tube. I used a prop from an old trolling motor and connected it to a 3/8" all thread rod, put a piece of 1/2 inch pvc over the rod and connected it to a cordless drill. I tried it in my gardon pond and it really pulls,(or pushes), I haven't had chance to really try it in my tube. The drill can be stored in a pouch and the prop straps on the tube. I think it will work good to get to or from the spot you tend to fish. Even if you have to cross the whole pond. If anyone interested, I will enclose pics.[/quote]

Welcome to out forum.
I would love to see some pictures of that, please.

Peter
[signature]
So, do you have to license your tube? You do if you put a Minn Kota or any other electric motor in most states.
[signature]
Yes for public waters, no for private has been my general observation. Mostly the GW just seemed Confused by the whole pontoon thing in my area, to say nothing of the nearly invisible electric drive. I used the principle of begging forgiveness rather than asking permission for many years. Finally, one of the GW that got to know my contraption well told me I needed to register, so I did.

Pon

[quote flygoddess]So, do you have to license your tube? You do if you put a Minn Kota or any other electric motor in most states.[/quote]
[signature]
Yeah, that asking forgiveness for not following the law doesn't really work[laugh]
Licensing is like $27........ticket like $150. I think.
[signature]
Yes, not worth the time to go before a jury, even if you know you could win.

Pon

[quote flygoddess]Yeah, that asking forgiveness for not following the law doesn't really work[laugh]
Licensing is like $27........ticket like $150. I think.[/quote]
[signature]
You da man, 123ups!!! I've been dreaming of hitching a trolling motor to my 420, but afraid I'd slice off a foot. A cordless drill ought to work, but for how long! Sure, please supply pics and specs.

I need some idea to warm me up here in the snowy Blueridge. We've had a white Christmas and New Years, with more snow on its way.
[signature]
Well my list is as follows:

fix hole in pontoon [frown]
readjust seat[cool]
fix tube (tug) for mamatrouts tube[cool]
fix fly rod[frown]
repair motormount that had a small mishap when out fishing with Madfisher55[crazy]

and try to get out for a little ice fishing if I can.
[signature]
[quote albinotrout]repair motormount that had a small mishap when out fishing with Madfisher55[crazy]

and try to get out for a little ice fishing if I can.[/quote]

Sorry about that, and ready when you are Kev![Smile]

[Smile]
[signature]
Anyone want to hazard a guess on these? When tugging a second pontoon with a motorized one, does one need 2 registrations? And does the person being towed need a fishing license even if she doesn't fish? My wife really likes outdoor scenery, but doesn't enjoy fishing. I sometimes push her in front of me, while trolling. I'd rather not go the begging forgiveness method any longer.

Thanks,

Pon
[signature]
I do not know where you at but here in TX, the craft with the motor is the one that needs the registration/title.
As for the license, again the one who is doing the fishing needs it.
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]Anyone want to hazard a guess on these? When tugging a second pontoon with a motorized one, does one need 2 registrations? And does the person being towed need a fishing license even if she doesn't fish? My wife really likes outdoor scenery, but doesn't enjoy fishing. I sometimes push her in front of me, while trolling. I'd rather not go the begging forgiveness method any longer.

Thanks,

Pon[/quote]

Ya know I have thought alot about this. I love my wife and would love to have her with me from time to time. Be able to teach her to fish and be there to help her. But if I tie her toon to mine, how the hell would I control the movement with all that drag? I have a motor on mine. if I tow behind (infront) of me the tow rope gets in the way. If push her infront of me her line is going to fowl the motor or me. If I tie her toon to the side of me, again how do you control the movement with all that drag? I dont see any way to do it except to get a toon make for two!

Any other ideas besides let her kick her own ass all over the pond? I mean that in a nice way of course! [angelic]

May be a good excuse to get that two person Scadden boat?

[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
I have towed allot of people. It is easier if they are in a tube like a Fat Cat or H3. The point of the tube tracks really nice.

When I towed a friend while she fished, I ran the tow rope more down the left side so she tracked more on the left, that way I could cast and fish on the right. When either of us would hook up, I held the rod and she netted.
Worked great.

A little harder on the battery though. Didn't last as long as if I were on my own.

Now on to the question, You only need to license the one with the motor and if she isn't fishing, it is no different than kids being towed on water toys....no license all the way around.
[signature]