Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boca Grande / Charlotte Harbor Fishing Report 9/30
Fishing Report for Charlotte Harbor / Boca Grande Weekending 9-30-01<br><br>This week’s poor weather and boat maintenance kept me off the water several days. The days I was able to get on the water provided for some fast and furious action.<br><br>In between the rain, I fished the northeast section of Charlotte Harbor early in the week and Friday. Redfish were spotty this far up in the harbor, however I did manage to locate a few feeding along the mangrove shorelines surrounding Alligator Creek. Snook were certainly in a feeding mode. Plenty were caught along the shorelines and around oyster bars. <br><br>The Canals of PGI also proved productive for smaller Snook, a few slot size Reds, and plenty of Trout. A Tarpon or two were also present. The water for this part of the Harbor is still very stained due to the heavy rains and runoff. Most of the action came from throwing Storm Chug Bugs and Soft Jerk baits. <br><br>Closer toward the gulf, the Snook and Redfish Bite was on in full force. Earlier today, we fished the outgoing tide, and located several 30+ fish pods of Redfish cruising the flats bordering Cape Haze Point , S.Southeast entrance(s) to Turtle Bay and the West Wall. Stealth is the key here. Use a trolley at the lowest setting or a push-pole to get within casting distance. Make any noise, and you will send 30 redfish flying for the horizon pushing a 12” wake. Once a school is located, they will eat almost anything. Top water Chuggers, Gold Spoons, Twitch Baits, Spinner Baits and of course live bait will all work well. Most of these fish are over 27”. With so, take care in handling the fish and be sure to revive them properly. <br><br>In addition to the Reds, we caught Snook to 28” in some very Skinny Water on the outgo. Snook were fining on the grass flats in or around mullet schools. Soft Plastic Jerk Baits in Black/Gold and Silver claimed our Snook today.<br><br>Although we could have done without all of the rain and the winds, the sudden drop in temp did nothing but turn on the feeding light for the fish. This week will bring clear sunny skies, strong tides, and cooler temps. I expect the Reds and Snook to follow the same patterns as today. Bait will be all over the harbor, as will Spanish Mackerel and Ladyfish. For those venturing outside; Look for Macks just off the beaches, mixed in with Jacks and a possible Cobia or King. Nothing beats a Silver Krocodile Spoon for the Spanish Macks. Match the spoon size with the prevailing forage (2”-3” Sardines.) Bait is the key. Find the bait, and you will find the fish.<br><br>As always, keep what you need for a fresh meal and release the rest.<br><br>Tight Lines, Capt. Allan B. Beraquit <br>Coast II Coast Fishing Charters, Inc. <br>1-866-4-TARPON / www.fish-fla.com<br><br><br>Captain Allan B. Beraquit<br>Coast II Coast Fishing Charters, Inc.<br>www.fish-fla.com