Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50 fish day, 60 fish day, 20 fish day....(Fish Lake)
Just a simple question for all of you "fish counters" that have epic days where you catch 50, or even 60 fish:

How do you keep track of that many??? Do you have a "clicker" that keeps count? Personally, I seem to start to lose track after about 6 or 7 fish. Was I on 8? Was that last one #9 or # 10? I can't imagine how confusing it get's after you have caught 25 -- Let's see, there was the two 15"ers, the big rainbow, the 5 little perch, or was that 6 perch? I can't remember. Oh, and the cutthroat. That makes 10.....

I guess some people just have better memories than I do.

Fish Lake was good this year, as usual. Nothing different to report from every other report, except that this year the elk are still hanging out around the lake. That's a little bit different than years past...
[signature]
a lill handheld clicker works for me but on the ling i get to count each one as i filet them [cool] but when we bow fish or hit pelican or any other place were we get big number's a clicker keep's the count. if your loseing your count at 7-8 you may be geting old and loseing your great memory there PBH[Wink]
[signature]
I loose track after 3 lol!

At the store we used to have a rule of thumb for fish stories..."Divide by a third"
If the story teller caught 3 dozen fish =12
If it was a 6lbs. fish on the Weber = 2lbs.,still a nice fish.
Exception to the rule is" 5lbs".,its just a lie.[Tongue]
[signature]
[#6000bf]I lose track after 2 or 3 and then just round UP lol....[/#6000bf]
[signature]
Kind of a funny topic and unfortunately for me, is a topic that I consider each and every time I go out. I'm so obsessive compulsive and feel the need to count each fish and species, and record them into my log each trip. I have logs that go back to 2004 when I started fishing and can tell you exactly how many fish caught of each species for every outing I went on.
I'm usually pretty good at keeping track, but in those instances where I have multiple species and fish counts over 20 or so, I do start writing them down. Not each fish perhaps, but once I write the count down I will start over in my mind again till I start getting Confused, then write that down. Occassionally I will lose track and will just write down or mentally note the last solid number I remember. I did that at Scofield this year once. I'm pretty sure I caught well over 50 fish, but I lost track twice and settled on a "20 count" each time. So I logged 40 fish for that trip. If in doubt, I never over estimate, if anything I under estimate.
I also keep track of my biggest fish of each species, lakes visited, weather conditions, moon phase, temperature, and of course what was working that day or not. I always have a pen and paper with me and I resort to writing the counts down very often.
I'm pretty sure it's a curse that I have. I would love to just go fishing one day and not write the trip down in my log...but I can't.
Kent has a couple of those clickers and they do come in handy when you catch 100+ Bluegills each at Pelican Lake!
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
So, I guess my next question, for all the "clicker" users out there is: Why? If you're catching that many fish, what does it matter if you have an exact count?

I guess for me, a good day of fishing just isn't measured in numbers of fish caught. Other people just have that need in them to count and keep track.
[signature]
PBH,
Why are you so critical about everyone who posts on here.I admit i didnt count EVERY fish I caught at fishlake this last weekend.Its just a way to discribe how good the fishing was..Take a chill pill and relax about what guys right on this board.
[signature]
Sounds like you are really getting old PBH can't remember Hmmmmm.. You could try this for every bottle of power bait I use I just count that as thirty fish. So when I use 2 bottles then I feel real good so I pack up and go home. Why don't you help those southern boys out down there. You know host a party, cook some fish, even give away some prizes. Show where you're[#ff8000] HOT[/#ff8000] Spots are.
[signature]
utfishguy31 -- I'm not being critical. Nowhere did I say that there was anything wrong with counting fish, nor did I say it was a bad thing. I only questioned how people keep track, and why.

My questions were honest questions -- inquiring minds want to know. What is it that makes people count their fish, and how do they keep track once they get past 6 or 7. If that offends you, then maybe you need to lighten up a little bit. I suggest that you (utfishguy31) stop trying to pick a fight with your negativity. Keep things on the positive. It's a new year.
[signature]
[#0000ff]PBH like to speak in "Cliff-mojo-ish" [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I rest my case on negitivity[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I wasnt picking a fight,just explaining to you why people mention how many fish they caught just like an author of a book goes into detail about there story,thats how you describe things in writing when you cant speak to someone directly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Being as bright as you are you should know that already and should understand that what fishing forums are used for so why ask the question.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
pikeman -- I like your method of counting the best so far! I think I'll attempt a modified version of it: every fly I lose = 10 fish. The only thing I worry about with this method is that I'll end up getting skunked far too often!

I'm not too big on the whole get-together outings. Fishing has always been a family thing for me. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the company of others, or that I don't like to fish with buddies, or even that I don't want to try to teach someone something new. It's just that I find fishing with my family very gratifying, and I'd hate to pass up the opportunity of spending time with my family. Besides, Fish Lake over New Years feels like a party anyway. It gets busier and busier every year.

Some of my hot spots? I have no secrets. I'm always more than willing to help anyone out with whatever knowledge I might have. I can only think of 1 time that I have ever turned anyone down for "secret hot spot" information. Ask and ye shall receive. Just don't ask for gps coordinates!

UTfish -- what method of counting do you use? (contribute something positive to the thread please)
[signature]
PBH like to speak in "Cliff-mojo-ish"

Are we visiting other Northern sites?

If so, I am familiar with both Cliff and I kind of know MoJo[Wink]
Both are ...well, opinionated, but gotta say, they don't pull any punches either.

PBH, I didn't ask, but I have wondered that for years myself, but I do know some that count as mention to inform how good a spot is, but also know some that do it to make them self look good (Not talking about anyone here, okay)

I say, whatever makes you comfortable, go for it. Plus you got to admit, it would keep the brain juices flowing.

(on a side note, I too forget after about 6, but I am woman.....LOL that number 6 comes up allot[laugh])
[signature]
I do have to admit more than mild amusement when I read posts that pronounce "100 fish days" in the headlines, then you read the text and the 100 fish were caught between 12 anglers. [crazy] I suppose it is all good though.

Getting back to Fish Lake, you mentioned a cutthroat. I caught a cutt on my trip there on Jan 1st. 1st time I have done that at FL. ( I have caught browns there before but never a cutt) How common are they there? Was it just one that got randomly stocked by accident?

As for how many I caught (by myself) Not sure, about/approximately/rounded up or down/estimated to be between 85 and 93, give or take a couple. Not that it was a great achievement, about 45-47 were perch.[Wink] And my 3 friends did about as well as I so it was a .......... fish day.
[signature]
Now what I find amusing, and I say amusing, I am not calling anyone a liar, but the 50 fish in one hour......HOLY CRAP! that is a hair over a minute per fish! But, I guess anything is possible.
I am not referring to this 50, I am sure these took a reasonable amount of time and more than one rod...

Speaking of several rods...how would that work, there is still only one you?
Now I don't ice fish, but you do space the rods out right?
[signature]
doggone -- when I mentioned a cutthroat I was only being hypothetical -- I did not mean to lead anyone to believe that I caught a cutthroat at Fish Lake.

I don't believe that they are common at all at Fish Lake. I'm not sure that they are stocked, or have been stocked in a long time. The only cutthroat I can think of being stocked in Fish Lake have been older brood stock fish.

Disclaimer: all numbers, species, etc. that I posted in this thread have been made up, and should in no way be believed by anyone reading the thread. PBH
[signature]
RE:"Now what I find amusing, and I say amusing, I am not calling anyone a liar, but the 50 fish in one hour......HOLY CRAP! that is a hair over a minute per fish! But, I guess anything is possible.
I am not referring to this 50, I am sure these took a reasonable amount of time and more than one rod..."

When ice fishing, one can catch fish very rapidly at times, especially perch and other panfish. However, I would agree that 50 in an hour would seem to strain the limits of what is physically possible....or maybe I'm just a spazz and others can re-rig that quickly.
[signature]
I must admit, LMAO at: "Cliff-mojo-ish"

But then I went down stairs and say the wall of Mojo
that someone talked me in to, that I could not sell.
Not so funny any more.
[signature]
I drink one beer for every fish I catch and at the end of the day I just count the Empties . You know you have had to much to drink when you start throwing the beer back and keeping the fish . Curt G.
[signature]
The only bad thing about one beer for every fish caught, would be the days I died of thirst with a full cooler of beer next to me. I cant count on me catching fish!! Just have fun!To hell with the numbers!!
[signature]
Hand held clicker works for me. I saw Kent using one on Jordanelle one year so I picked one up. I"ve been using it ever since. If I keep track of different species, and the the bite isn't too fast, I'll create a text draft on the cell phone and update that everytime I catch one.
[signature]