Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Temple Bar New Years
This is a bit late, but here you go:

I rented a houseboat out of Temple Bar on New Years eve, came back on Saturday.
We mostly hung out in the Temple Bay & Wild Burro Bay areas.
The fishing was surprisingly good. We'd slowly cruise around until we found fish hanging out near the bottom, and would then drop spoons and anchovies down on them and do some chumming as well.

Mostly they were hanging out between 90-120 feet.
Once we had their interest, it was pretty frequent to have the school follow the hooked fish up, where we'd proceed to catch them in as little as 10 feet of water. It was fun looking down on them from the top deck of the houseboat doing their feeding frenzy thing.

I also tried some night fishing off the back of the boat with a submersible light, and caught about 5 doing that.
Daytime temps were in the 60's, nights were around 40, water temp was 57-59 degrees. There was no wind, the lake was deserted, and it was a perfect getaway from the lovely weather we've been having in Salt Lake City. Quite a drive though, about 1,000 miles round trip.

Most fish were pretty small compared to what I'm used to at Powell, about 15" was the average. We did catch a few that were in the 20-24" range. The nice thing though was all fish were pretty fat.

We caught around 60 Stripers between the 3 of us, and all of them are still swimming.
[signature]
lovely weather?! it hasn't snowed in like 2 weeks! Beautiful ice fishing sunny days! I'm still too new to Northern Utah to call Nevada a "break" or vacation.

Glad you had a great time. Them damn burros!

Now get back and drill some holes!!
[signature]
Heh. The gray skies, the ice & snow, the "red air" days...no thanks. This is my least favorite time of year. I'm just not built for the cold I guess. And I don't like fishing on ice through a hole. Give me open water, sunshine, clear skies, temps over 60, and I'm a happy guy.

I flew to FL in February of 2008 to chase some Bass. The plane had to be de-iced twice before we took off. I got to Clewiston, right on Lake Okeechobee, around 10pm. Sat in an outdoor bar & grill and had a burger and some beer. Temperature was 79 degrees.

I spent 10 days in the Keys last March and discovered Tarpon, Sea Trout, Ladyfish, Grouper, Jacks, etc. Things just haven't been the same since then.

I'm moving there in August. Smile
[signature]
Right on!

I was back in So. Nevada around Thanksgiving and my bro took me out fishing. Got me itching again so I decided to get some gear when I got back but couldn't wait to go so decided to take up ice fishing. I enjoy it! better than nuthin! Can't wait for the thaw tho.

Now that your leavin' I'll take all of your maps of Bass fishing spots! HAHA

Wish you the best. Silver Kings! big ole tarpon! Can't fathom one of them bad boys after catching monster 10" Perch [:p]
[signature]