Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Sturgeon Spearing Regulations at Black Lake
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]DNR Announces New Sturgeon Spearing Regulations at Black Lake[/#00e010][/font] [font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]Contact: [/#00e010][/font] [font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]Contact Tim Cwalinski 989-732-3541[/black][/font]
[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][#00e010]Agency:[/#00e010][/font] [font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]Natural Resources[/black][/font]

[font "arial, helvetica, sans-serif"][black]Jan. 8, 2010 The Department of Natural Resources has announced new regulations for sturgeon spearing at Black Lake designed to allow more people to participate. Anglers who want to try their hands at sturgeon spearing season will be required to register on-site at Black Lake the day they plan to fish. They will be required to register any sturgeon speared immediately. Sturgeon season is slated to begin Feb. 6 and will run through Feb. 10 or whenever the quota is reached, whichever comes first. The new harvest strategy replaces the system that has been used in recent years that required anglers to draw for permits and limited the number of participants. Under the new system, the five-day season will close as soon as the quota is reached. Anglers on the ice when the quota is reached will be notified that the season is closed. Biologists believe the new system will allow greater participation but will protect the Black Lake sturgeon population from over-harvest. The change was developed in conjunction with Sturgeon For Tomorrow, a conservation group centered at Black Lake.
[/black][/font]
[signature]
Already this first month of the year(today is the 9th. mind you )the Mi.D.N.R has started changing fishing regulations .

Stergon spearing regulations on black lake have been changed and type 5,6,and 7 trout streams are being reclassified .Two changes in regulations in less than two weeks ? Do we have another fifty more regulation changes to look forward to at this rate ?

This is why the Mi.D.N.R. is going fricken' broke , they are waisting all the man hours and legal fees trying to figure out how they can screw things up more than they already have done .
Look at the now "old" Black Lake regulations compared to the new regulations , does that make any sense at all ? NO ![url "http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-229380--,00.html"]http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-229380--,00.html[/url] Now you could have a couple dozen guys with a speared sturgeon heading up to the check in station when the season closes (quota filled ).Seriously , how big would the Elk Herd be if we had the same type of regulation there ? None , there wouldn't be one left in the state . I think the idiot that thought that regulation up and everybody in the department that supported that change should be booted out on their keister .
Comon' Becky , you have 290 million dollars to work with a year , can't you hire someone with some common sense ?
[signature]
i have to agree..to many ideas not enough common sense decision making..wanting to many peoples ideas can cloud the obvious with to much b.s..time to lead
[signature]
the veiw I get on it is, they are going to cut more man power hours. Fewer CO's and Fewer Park rangers to moniter and run programs. This resembles to me just another simptom of more misalocatioin of funds.

A Deplorable series of events to say the least.
[signature]
I wonder since they are not going to hold a raffle dose this man that any one who shows up will be able to go out and target stergeon on the first day and not have to worry about not being able to go out at all on the second or third day if the quota is filled on day one?
[signature]
if they didnt spend so much time and money on studies..maybee they would have more for actions..
[signature]
That's the way I read it Dave , it's a free for all on the opening day of spearing up there at black lake .
Pity they don't just seed some of the larger lakes and great lakes with more of these fish .
Michigan first should be the DNR'S main concern , not selling collected eggs and fry for sale to other states .
I'd rather hook into a sturgeon than a carp any day of the week
[signature]
to bad we cant talk them blue bloods to eattin carp caviar. [:p]

we can get rid of two problems at once... [angelic] stop the comercial harvesting of stergeon and start comercial harvest of carp... I say let them suffer near extinction in the great lakes for a while...[:p]
[signature]
Curious how large of sturgeon they are spearing?
[signature]
If I remember right, In the past any size, with a limit of 6 fish total to be taken from the lake.

in the past they had some one to call off the event when the fish sixth fish has been caught.

now I dont imagin any one is going to be the one to take a dink just to say they got one.

if it were fishing maybe, but not spearing. Your liable to cut a dink right in half dropping a 30 pound spear on it....
[signature]
[quote davetclown]

If I remember right, In the past any size, with a limit of 6 fish total to be taken from the lake.

[/quote]

You have got to be kidding me? They have a season that allows [#bf0000]only six[/#bf0000] sturgeon to be speared? If that is the case why do they even bother having it?
[signature]
This is an event held on black lake once a year in Feb.

this rule is only for this lake. Efforts are susposed to make black lake a superior stergeon fishing event. I havent heard the quality of fish being taken.

michigan has another lake that stergeon is open most of the year, Ostego lake. other lakes are lake st clair and st clair river with a slot limit of 42-50 inches and lake michigan in the wisconson michigan boundry waters where the minimum size I think is 70 inches.
[signature]
No sturgeon in Utah -- unfortunately. I fish for them in Idaho, which is strictly catch and release. It is even illegal to remove them from the water.
[signature]
we have to get a special license to even concider targeting a stergeon. This year it was free so long as you have a current regular fishing license and has been in the past, but it is like a deer tag.

once caught you have 48 hours to report it to a reporting station...

also this year if you wanted a trout license you had to buy a regular fishing license.

30 years ago you had to have a regular fishing license and then you bought a trout stamp if you wanted to fish for trout and salmon.

then the went to a new system and if you did not fish for other species other than trout and salmon then you did not have to have a regular fishing license.

this year they changed the rules again so that you have to have both licenses if you want to target trout and salmon...

It is the constant changing of the rules that is getting every ones dander up.....

our rule book used to be printed on both sides of a ten inch by ten inch peice of paper, now it is written in 3 manuals 30-50 pages each...
[signature]
its not like the state aint making money off of its sports, maybe it is making to much money it is finding ways to misapropreate it.

example, this year I bought,

two buck tags 30 bucks
three antlerless tags 45 bucks
one antlerless raffel 4 bucks
one regular fish 15 bucks
one trout and salmon 15 bucks
one bunny and squril 15 bucks
one coon and cyote 15 bucks
one bear raffle 4 bucks
one elk raffle 4 bucks
one turkey license 15 bucks
one atv 16 bucks