Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swordfish or Dolphin, The Choice Is Yours!!
The wind has finally come down enough to make swordfishing comfortable. It is well worth the time and effort to catch these monsters of the deep seas.

Also, with the calmer seas, you can cover ground more quickly while running and gunning for dolphin. There have been some days where the weed has been scarce. Just look for the birds and you should still have a great day of dolphin fishing.

Tuesday (7/15) evening we ran offshore with our goal being to catch a swordfish. Blue runners were hard to come by, however, we found a few and were happy with what we had. The seas were 1-2 foot and there were scattered thunderstorms in the distance. We got our reward at 10:15 pm when Max Dekelbaum, Scott Levy, and I watched the blue light from our deepest bait streaking toward the stern of the boat. It made a quick turn and ran toward the bow and once again reversed toward the stern. There was no movement of the float. By this time, Scott was frantically winding on the reel to catch up to the fish. Everything settled down and it didn't take long to reel the fish in. I billed the swordfish and saw that the circle hook was in the dorsal fin with the leader wrapped around the pec fins. We quickly unwrapped the fish, took a few quick shots with the fish in the water and sent it on it's way so it could thrill another angler at another time. Scott could hardly believe what had just happened. He caught and released his first swordfish on his first try. He and Max were still celebrating as I put another bait out. The thunderstorms got closer and we decided that it was time to go in. The rain hit as I was bringing in the last bait and we knew that we had made the right decision.

Wednesday (7/16) evening we were back out for swords again. Blue runner fishing was much easier this time and it didn't take long to catch all the baits we wanted. While running out, we saw numerous flocks of birds working over schools of jumping dolphin. We didn't stop, but filed the info away for the Friday dolphin trip. There are times when the wait can be long before the first strike. Tonight was one of those nights. The strike came at 9:45 pm. Earlier than the previous night, however, we were set up much earlier tonight. Bruce Newman came tight on the fish and the fight was on. As the blue light came in to view and then the fish, we were both happy and a bit disappointed as it turned out to be a 5 1/2 foot shark. While holding the leader tight in my hand, the shark made quick work of the mono and released itself. As we were winding in the long bait to run in, it felt heavy and then light. There was no bait, but plenty of scarring on the leader from a bill hitting it. Could have been and probably was a sword. Bruce, you'll get him next trip.

You've got some choices. There are swordfish in the evening, dolphin offshore during the day, and back in on the reef, there are bonito, a few kingfish, and sailfish that are sure to please. I have some open dates, so give me a call to book a trip and lets go catch 'em.

Captain Dave Kostyo
Knot Nancy Fishing Charters
305 620-5896 Charter
305 732-2628 Beeper
www.knotnancy.com
nkostyo@bellsouth.net
[signature]