Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Out-of-work boater wins $25,000 in BoatU.S. contest
ALEXANDRIA, Va., January 11, 2010 - A boater from North Carolina is $25,000 wealthier thanks to the Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatU.S.) Wave of Fortune Sweepstakes. Mr. Kerry Watts of Charlotte, NC, has won the grand prize capping off the yearlong event. Watts earned one sweepstakes entry last spring after a boating friend urged him to join the nationwide boat owners group.

"I needed insurance for my boat and my friend who grew up in boating asked me, 'Why would you not insure your boat with people who only specialize in boats?' Now, he's asking for half of my winnings," chuckled Watts.

An avid boater, Watts says he has owned his 21-foot Chaparral bow rider for 12 years, but wishes he could take some of the winnings for a down payment on a new 25-foot Cobalt cruiser. However, the out-of-work residential land developer admits that the money will come in handy paying the bills.

Even with the downturn, Watts says boating remains an important part of his family's lifestyle. They also own a personal watercraft. "We have a weekend place on Lake Tillery and always enjoy bringing lots of friends down to do some boating, especially for our big July Fourth celebration," he added.

Over 550,000 people entered the year-long sweepstakes which began in January 2009. Entries were earned by either playing the DockIt game at BoatUS.comor by joining or renewing BoatU.S. membership which offers boaters services such as insurance and on-the-water towing, boating safety programs, and marina discounts. The Association is also the boaters' advocate on Capitol Hill.

###

BoatU.S. - Boat Owners Association of The United States - is the nation's leading advocate for recreational boaters providing over half a million members with government representation, programs and money saving services. For membership information visit www.BoatUS.com or call 800-395-2628.

Media Contact

D. Scott Croft, 703-461-2864, SCroft@BoatUS.com