Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 1-16-10
Myself, dad (wifes) and buddy hit Rock port about 10am on the ice. walked out to 46feet of water at 32 degrees and proceeded to hand auger 4 holes in a triangle (???) and soak bait. i have pretty good blades on my HAND AUGER, but that ice was hard and about 12 to 13 inched thick!!! we had to have one guy put pressure on the top of the auger and one turn the handle and the third keep it inline as we drilled so we got the finder in the water in the first hole, then began the triangle shape around it for three of us to fish, after the first hole is done they tell me to drop line while they start the sencond and third holes, after about 20 minutes my rod goes down on the Mr. Jigger, I am rigging up my dad's line for him so i tell my buddy to grab it. last NIGHT i fave him a new ice rod for his B-Day, this was his second outing ice fishing. he sets the hook and starts to reel, then stops reeling allowing a bit of slack in the line and presto, long line release a fish down the ice hole. thats one strike for freind. I just tried to gt him the "first" fish. HA!

Fishing was slow, after missing a taste or two, i say taste, the fish were not taking or hitting a bait they were tasting it ALL DAY. I finally hooked up to a decent 16 inch bow. Ate lunch(leftover lamb roast), drank some beer, had a celabratory nip of jack and/or Crown for the fish. Guys on a snowmobile pull up approx 30 yard south drill holes start to fish next to us, after some time they pack it in and head toward us on track down to the dam! guy stops next to us, looks at me in my beanie (BFT) and says "Dubob" I say "Badfish" then he points out where they were just at and says "dont fish over there, not a fish around" we shoot some shop talk he gives me the low down on the silly guy south west of us that took his wife fishing and of course she had a HUGE bow over there and he had a minnow. I never did catch the other fellows name with Dubob, but it was good to meet him out on the hard deck.

after about another 2 hours, we are about 4 hours into the day now that began at 10, Buddy hooks up and ices a 12 and a half inch bow. after several more "tastings" and no hook ups, we head out for SLC at 4pm, water temp was at 43 or 44, and the depth was still 46 feet. I dont know rock port very well so i have no names of the coves or anything, but from where we was at on the dam end of the lake, the boat ramp was just about straight across from us and maybe south 50 yards at most. did not make it over that way, we stayed in one spot all day, the guys to the north of us, had a tent with some sort of heating devise and they actually shoveled off the lake and were ice skating on the area they cleared.

all in all, sunny weather, occasional W but not bad, good company and two fish... cant complain for taking a saturday to go drill ice holes...
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]It's always a pleasure to meet a fellow BFT'r. We went further north, drilled holes at 60 feet and saw nada - again. We talked with another group near that hole and they were having some luck in closer to shore so we moved into 40 feet of water and nailed two nice bows. The bite died about 3:30 so we packed it in at 4:00.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]It was a very slow day fishing wise, but we could not have asked for better weather than we had today.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Oh, the other guy with me is my son-in-law and he is not a BFT member.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
What is that on the ice behind you in the first pic, the big dark spot on the ice? Good lookin' beanie [Wink]
[signature]
That IS the ICE!! LOL!! there was only about an inch of "crust" on top, so we kicked it all out of the way to let some light in through the ice. the HUGE spot over my shoulder is where they guys next door shoveled off the ice and made a skating rink, he was out there for a few hours with his hockey skates on.
[signature]
That guy with the hockey skates is the main fish cop that lives at the ranger house. He is a real nice guy, and also told me about the spot that I have been doing so well at this year.

Nice job on the fishing.
[signature]
I dont think that guy was a fish cop. The kid with the skates was only 18-19 years old, his old man was out there with him testing some kind of newfangled heater devise he invented with a metal 5 gallon paint bucket to heat up fishing shanty's, they had it running in the tent in the pictures. put out a terrible smell when it was burning, did not smell like fire. smelled like they was burning dog hair...or poo. it was stinky. I guess the grandfather of the ice skate kid had invented this burning bucket devise, they were testing it out, and the kid was bored did want to just sit and watch the fire... so he skated on a lake, where everyone else was fishing.... hhmm, those are weird priorities right there anyway, then they SHOVELED on the ice for a good, hour and a half making all kinds of racket. the ice was popping to, it was cool at times it sounded like there were whales under us the way the ice had the high pitched groan to it.
[signature]
Interesting, I guess that there is more than one guy out there that has more a priority to skate around in hockey skates than he has to catch fish. What a weird experience you witnessed. If I was down wind of the burner devise I would have had to move. The smell of burning poo and hair combined doesnt make my stomach sit well.........lol Maybe the smell was the tent melting from the inside. or maybe they had a dog in the tent that got too close to the heater ouch!!
[signature]