Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Gorge
Any one been to the Gorge lately and willing to share a little info? I will be heading up next week with many others heading the same direction I am sure. I am planning on fishing mainly for Macs. I have never fished them during the months of July and August. I usually fish spring and fall. I also hope to hit so Kokes if the mack fishing is slow. I will be staying on the south end near the dam but will travel for good fishing.

tightline
[signature]
Sorry, tightline. I haven't been up in a while. I'll ask around the basin adn see what I can get for you.
[signature]
Thanks Curtisfish. I am sure the trip will be great no matter what. It just helps if someone can point you in the right direction if you've never fished during a particular time of year. I am sure somone has been fishing up there. Maybe they just don't want to post on the web.
[signature]
I just got back from ten days of fishing at the Gorge. Didn't have much luck with anything but macs. Caught two 28 lbers and a 23 lber jigging slabs in 90' of water. Best spot seemed to be the point that is on the east side of the lake across from Lucerne. Foul hooked a lot of fish too. Other good spots were the humps on that bend out from Sheap Creek and points in the canyon further south from there.

Here is a picture of one of the fish I caught.

Thanks to every one on this board that helped me out prior to my trip. Flaming Gorge will be visited again!
[signature]
Nice fish man!!! Great to hear that you done well. I can't wait to go back when it cools off in the fall. What do you mean by "slabs" anyway?
[signature]
Great pic. I am also interested in what you meant by a "slab". I would be happy with your trip. It looks like it was successful.

tightline
[signature]
A slab I guess would be a lead spoon. We call it slabbing out here, but I guess i should have said jigging spoons.
[signature]
They look like these:

[url "http://www.lithosjigs.com/spoons.html"]http://www.lithosjigs.com/spoons.html[/url]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Sounds like all the questions and research paid off. Nice pic of your toad! I believe a FULL, DETAILED report is in order for all us nimrods who wish we could catch fish like that! Thanks for sharing.[/size][/font]
[signature]
That is bigger than anything I've ever caught anywhere! Great picture. I'm glad you had fun. I wish I had come up and fished with you. Maybe you could teach me a thing or three about jigging.

I could be wrong, but the only thing I know of as a slab is just that. A slab of lead in a teardrop, oblong, pear, or arched shape. I have a bunch of them in different colors. I guess a Crippled Herring would even be called a slab. the biggest mack I've caught (17.5lbs) came on a 1oz. chartreuse/white teardrop with a 2/0 treble hanging from the bottom. Next time I'll go with a bigger hook. That treble was mangled when I got him in. I'm surprised the hook didn't straighten out.

This is the Bomber slab spoon

[url "http://store5.yimg.com/I/nfs6_1738_1305232"][Image: Bomber-Slab-colors.jpg][/url]
[signature]
I guess I'm just too slow. You got in 2 more and BLM got one in while I was out looking for pictures.
[signature]
Looking at those photos from Lithosjigs I now know where fishing spoons got their name. They really look like the handles on some of my wife's silverware. I wonder if she'd miss any of those things collecting dust in the drawer?

Kevin[crazy]
[signature]