Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rigging an attractor dropper set-up?
So, I've always fished a Kastmaster type 6 to 10 inches above a smaller ice fly. It seems like the heavier lure falls below the ice fly going down the hole and gets tangled. What are some remedies for this?

The other day, I tried a Kastmater on the bottom, tied a loop in my line 8 inches above, and then tied on a short section of leader attached to an ice fly. Didn't seem to get nearly as many bites with the larger lure on the bottom. I think the small section of leader attached to my ice fly may have scared the fish.

How do ya'll rig up? Is there another way to set-up the heavier lure on the bottom and ice fly above it?

Thanks,

Justin
[signature]
Use a drop shot rig
[signature]
I am sure TubeDude will chime in, but use a bit of wire or some heavy line. I use 15 Lb. doing from dropper to fly, never tangles.

Good Luck,

Shawn
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are no simple solutions...but there are options. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]"Flashers" are used both for added weight, to get small jigs down in deeper water and for adding additional flash and vibration to attract fish in to your small jig. They provide the added benefit of straightening out the coils in your line so that you have better feel of what is happening at the end of your line in deeper water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are using something strictly for weight, it does not have to be fancy. A couple of split shot will get the job done. And, you can rig either above the small jig or below...drop shot style. I often like to rig "over and under"...with a leader below and a short dropper above. That helps pick up a few fish that might be cruising a ways above the bottom.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since I make most of my own stuff, I can't see buying the expensive chrome goodies (Kastmasters or Pimples). For "flashers" or attractors I use either small lead casting spoons or flattened spinner bodies that I pour and decorate myself. For ice fishing I also paint them up with glow colors for added fish attraction. They work pretty good. (see pics)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of iceaholics have discovered the "Hali" jigs. These are heavy lead jigs with a short length of chain below them to which is attached a small jig. They catch lots of fish...even with the very visible length of chain. So much for 2# fluoro leaders.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Last year I began experimenting with my own version of these lures. I call them "Holy Jigs". I use the flattened lead or casting spoon "flashers"...usually about 1/4 to 3/8 oz. I use a 4" to 6" piece of .016 stainless wire to connect one of several different kind of glow jigs. The weight shoots to the bottom and the wired jigs very seldom tangle like mono does. Even better, the fish love them and do not seem to be spooked by the wire at all. These things maintain a slight bend in the end of the rod and I can tell both up and down bites very easily. Also, if there are trout or crappie in the mix, I tie a dropper a couple of feet above the holy jig and sometimes get doubles. For the dropper I use either a 1/32 oz. glow jig or a weightless dropper fly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have also experimented with using stiff mono leaders instead of the wire. They work and they tangle less than the wire. Also easier to work with for the average angler who either does not have wire or is not used to working with it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Do you or anyone have a pic of the drop shot rig??
[signature]
[Image: dropshot.jpg]
[url "http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bF5LsGBLCzoADyajzbkF/SIG=11mmnnq0k/EXP=1264714187/**http%3a//www.iovino.com/dropdiag.jpg"][Image: dropdiag.jpg][/url]
Click for larger image

[url "http://www.ehow.com/video_2365830_drop-fishing_-advanced-angling-techniques.html"]RIGGING VIDEO[/url]
[signature]