Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
calico bass
what do you think should be done to preserve the calico population.

I think we should increase the size limit and put a maximum size that is allowed to be kept. ever realize that a lot of calicos kept are just barely over that 12 inch limit? I think anything over 18 or 20 inches should be released.

also, I think the limit should be 7.

what do you guys think???
[signature]

Hi DH tubinjoe,

This argument has been going on for since like forever!! It's really funny but there are a lot of captians, deckies and regulars on the local boats that consider calicos their favorite target fish.

At age 5 and about 11 inches long these fish start to reproduce. A 7 year old fish measures only about 15 inches. Biggest in california was around 28 inches.

I love 'em but then again I'm a non-purist, C&R, plastics guy too and see why people want them. For myself, I could sit off the kelp all day and catch quanity not quality and not keep a single fish. ha ha

Ya I know! it's partially greed. There's lots of fish out there and calicos of different sizes hang around the same structure. Often, as a deckie you would agree I think, there are a lot of small fish caught after the initial drop until the bite really builds. Some guys get greedy and keep the 12 1/0001th inch, stepped-on fish when later they could harvest larger fish.

Individual, Boat or Slot Limits
There's something to say for each of these systems. The problem is that they all have there place according to the species and what phase of the cycle that particular stock is in.

I'v got no opinion on the number of fish and I don't like the 'so many of these, unless you caught one of these, which means you can't have a combination of these, then no more fishing for the day nonsense that you see in some salmon fishing states.

JapanRon
[signature]
The only time that I keep them is when I am working and know that those things mean $$$$$.

Other than that I don't keep fish,

Aaron

BIG AND SMALL KILL EM ALL! LOL
[signature]