Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sinking line suggestions
I fish lots of ponds and small lakes for trout. Always from shore. I currently have 2 rods ( a 6 weight and a 4 weight). Both rods have floating line.
While nymph fishing my local pond the other day, I was watching a fellow fly fisherman that was just slaughtering em in the section of water I had no luck in 30 minutes earlier. I walked over to the gentleman and asked him what he was using... He was using a stillwater nymph with sinking line. Obviously he was getting down deeper to the fish than i could with my floating line =(.

Now I am looking to purchase some sinking line for my 6 weight, but I am really unsure what to get. I know there are lines that sink faster than others for fishing deeper lakes and such. Any suggestions for lines to use while fishing from shore??
[signature]
My suggestion is TYPE II. Density compensated or wet cell, it doesn't seem to make a big difference to me, but the betty on a Wet Cell is nice for weedy beds.

PM me an address and I will send you a sink tip to try and maybe use till you get a sinking line.

Kind of a tuff decision on what sinking, because there are so many choices.
Intermediate is great for shallow weed beds, and sub surface action, but then a Type VII for hot summer months.

Just my choice, but I use Type II more than anything.
I can count down if I need deeper, or strip a little faster in shallow.
[signature]
PM sent

I was looking at the type II line earlier. Any specific brand suggestions?
[signature]
Not really. I am RIO fan, but I have allot of Orvis and SA too.
[signature]
All the articles I have read in the last couple of years including listening to podcasts recommend type II as being the most universal and most used. But these days they all say to get clear tip lines or all clear lines. More bucks to spend though.

Fly Goddess what is your oppinion on the clear tips.
[signature]
I only have had one experience. They aren't as supple in my opinion. They do coil. But so does the Cortland Clear Camo in cold, but it isn't as bad as others I have tried.
Now I am going top say, that, that sounds like it might be more for catching the Fisherman...but I could be wrong.[Wink]

I know they are pushing the RIO clear as being suppler.

I will stick with the color line for now and like the fact the last 10 or so feet is a different color.
[signature]
hey, if i PM you my address could you go ahead and send me my custom made 3 weight with another orvis battenkill and spare spools, one loaded with more GPX shark skin, the other with some depth charge... oh and my new fishpond Wasatch pack would be awesome!
thanks!
[signature]
kochanut I have been trying to get her to loan me some of her spare gear for years but nothing yet... well ... there is the mojo rod.... and the flies... and the leaders.. and so on... but she has yet to give up a rod or reel.. :-) (and quite honestly I dont blame her.. she uses it all at one time or the other.. :-) )

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
cant blame the enlisted for trying!!
[signature]
lol.. you know it... we gots to make up in gifts to us in what we dont get paid from our Govt...:-)...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Just make sure that you are first on line at her upcoming garage sale. Yea right![/#008000][/font]
[signature]