Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly tying suggestions
Hello everyone,

I have recently began tying some wooly buggers, prince nymph, PTs that work great in a locally stocked pond here in Idaho...

these patterns have been good to my wife and I. I have not tried the dry flies yet...the x-caddis and PMD sparkle dun are my first attempts at tying a dry fly(at least I think they are dry flies)...I tried a store bought Griffin gnat with no luck yesterday..

we are new to tying but really enjoy this new hobby...can any of you suggest other dry fly patterns that might be working this time of year or early spring? some that a newbie like me wont have to much trouble with..

posting a picture of what I tied this Sunday...

Thanks

Match
[signature]
This time of the year insects are smaller size 20 or smaller there a some who go as small as 32 ( FG ) [cool] but I would suggest, Shellback Scuds brown & green, Zebra Midge black, Disco Midge, Serendipity, will catch fish If you looking for little more advanced flies try tying a Muddler, Matuka, Clouser Minnow, Mickey Finn. size 14 to 16

Oh dont forget Bead head Hare ear Its my goto fly usually always catch's a fish no matter what time of the year.
[signature]
Great flies Match.

We do go TINY here, but for some reason, Idaho likes bigger.
I have had some great times on Tilden with #24 dries.

Scuds are a basic food source 24/7 so always good idea to have some on hand.
Second the Bead Head Haresear, and add COPPER JOHNS. Red, Green, & Copper and regular Haresears are really easy to tie.

If you feel like experimenting, try a soft hackle. Great movement.
[signature]
Thnks for the suggestions and compliment,

next time I go to jimmy's all seasons anglers I will look into some scud material, a hare's ear, and copper johns.

FG, the soft hackle would be for streamers?

match
[signature]
I always like to pick up a copy of the current fly tyer. Always good patterns to try out in there.
[signature]
Absolutely Albino. I get like three different subscriptions that always have interesting patterns.
In Fly Fisherman issue this month is a KILLER Stonefly/softhackle pattern,. I am tying a bunch.

Match, there are the Gartside style that s a leech/streamer, but down size. Take a Tiemco 200R hook in like 12 to 14. Put thread body, but stop like straight up from the barb (like around half the hook). Olive thread is great, but Orange, Black, Grey. Then Partridge, hen, CDL feather and wrap two or three times.

[Image: Flies2.jpg]

I used an Olive one at "The Lake"[Wink] and they hammered it. Maybe when wet it looks like a scud.

Easy as heck to tie.
[signature]
grab some tens and twelves, and start tying some simi seal leeches. they are super effective. you can use dubbing, or maribou for a tail, then dub your body, and make a few turns near the eye of the hook, and make sure the thread is secure, even if you have to hold it down. take a piece of velcro and 'brush up' the fly. It will look terrible before you pick out the dubbing fibers, but afterwards the fly will look awesome.
here is a finished fly that Cheech tied using dubbing for a tail, and body.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_SFRcNd-61e8/R3...lblood.jpg
[signature]
Mohair leeches are great. I personally can't tell the difference in Semi and Mohair, but that is just me.
[signature]
thanks again everyone,

I tried the soft hackle streamer on a size 8-10hook. I used green version with brown grizzly variant Saddle hackle. I think it looks ok,

My wife tied an olive scud on size 12 using a piece of ziploc bag for spine. I think it looks great.

I hope they work...

thanks for all the suggestions...I sometimes have to google this fly terminology that is being posted LOL... I am using a starterkit so I have to hold off on some patterns till I get to Jimmy's fly shop....best part will be trying them out on the water..

thanks all,,
have a great day!

match
[signature]
thanks anthony,

will try that pattern too,

match
[signature]
One thing I was going to add. I am betting Cheech does this as well.
When you buy Mohair, or Semi Seal, if it is on a string like Chenille, It is a much nicer body IF you pull the fibers off the string and make a dubbing loop. Basically, make your own. The thread is thinner and mot as bulky.
I know when you start stripping the string, you think there isn't very much, but with a dubbing loop you need very little.

It makes a much nicer fly....really. BUT, the big question is, do the fish think so. I don't know cause the dubbing loop is all I use.[cool]
[signature]
this site has really helped me tie some of the more difficult flies with step by step instruction

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/index.cfm
[signature]
Gotta agree hands down!!!!
[signature]