Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making jigs, ice flies
I've been looking into making my own jig heads/ice flies and was hoping to get some info to help me get started. I don't want to mass produce them or anything, just be able to make several of differing styles. Where would you recommend buying molds, hooks, lead, etc. I'm especially interested in what hooks work best--I've had several store bought ice fly hooks snap on me. I was looking at some Matzuo hooks (Aberdeen and Octopus) that have a sickle bend, and was wondering if anyone thought there was a benefit to using this style hook. I also saw where you can solder some kinds of ice blades onto hooks, but I really don't know much about any of these things and figured someone on here probably did. Thanks for any help.
[signature]
If you live in the SLC area, send a PM to TubeDude and see if you can stop by his house and get some tips. You may also want to post your question on the lure making board:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=128"]Click here:[/url]
[signature]
Welcome to the site Fishnfam3. Yes there are plenty of folks that make their own jigs on BFT but the master of jig making IMO is TubeDude, if he does not respond to your post here you might want to send him a PM. Good luck.
WH2
[signature]
Thanks Kent. I had no idea there was a lure making board. I've been looking through it and there are posts that pretty much answer all my questions. That will give me a good start.
[signature]