Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
crappie flies?
Hey guys, I just moved, and I now live in good pan fish territory (among other cooler fish) but it's been a long time since I caught a crappie on a fly. Does anybody have any tips on what to use? I've been tying some simple stuff like Clousers, and various bead head nymphs, but any more specific tips would be much appreciated.
[signature]
All I have ever used for Crappie is Haresears and Bead Head Prince Nymph.
[signature]
I am no expert, but I have generally caught them on the regular wooly buggers, damsels, and hares ears etc. They really seem to like a lot of flash. White, yellow and touches of red seem to catch quite a few especially on bright days.
Good luck and enjoy being out. Let us know how you do.
[signature]
Thanks, I'll let you know how I do, it's still too early yet, but I'll post a report eventually....
[signature]
in my limited experience in fly fishing I have caught crappie on small poppers and most recently gills and other pan/sun fish on small (12) wolly worms, scuds, and red and green brassies... last summer my son in law and I had fun with small med sized hopper patterns that the smaller fish went nuts over before he caught a small lmb on it ... Id say if a crappie can handle a small popper maybe small hopper pattern will catch their attention as well..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Black Woolly Bugger was always good to my with crappies.
They dont fight very good but crappies are better then nothing [Smile]

Peter
[signature]
Sounds to me like it really doesn't matter what you use.
and i wish they did fight better, but they usually make up for it with numbers. I just wish i could find a spot that had lots of big ones, i know spots where i can honestly go and catch 200 (at least I could several years ago, we'll see this summer) in a day but they're all like 5-10 inches, and i know where to go for the 12-14 inchers, but i only catch a couple of those in a day there. why can't i have my cake and eat it too!
Maybe if i do it with a fly rod it will be more fun!
[signature]
There is a reason why the big ones got big..........[Smile]
And yes, it is a lot more fun with a fly rod. 3WT ?

Peter
[signature]
I'll be using a 5 wt (as soon as i get it fixed [mad]). Overkill for pan fish i know, but ya gotta use what ya have right? I have been toying with the idea of building a little TFO, but first i have to come up with the funding, oh and talk the wife into it [shocked]!
[signature]
lol
5wt is ok. Yes a little overkill but ok. I have caught some big male bluegills on 5wt and let me tell you that I was glad that I had the 5wt in my hand.[Smile]
I was fishing for crappies ones and caught a cat fish. Yes
cat fish and ones again 5wt was great.
Just use what you got and remember to have a good time.Because after all thats what it is all about.[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
and dont forget to post pictures of the results...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]I would go with a 3 wt.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I have had great success with the clouser for crappie. I have tied them on a size 12 hook with the small barrel eyes, flashy blue angel hair and crystal flash. That color pattern has worked in every lake I have tried, and out of curiousity I sent some to another member states away and he had good results as well.
I have also had success with a solid white foam popper, in cold weather. Just a few pops then let it sit. The popper I used was quite large, it was made for bluefish & stripers. Don't know what made me throw it but it worked good.
[signature]
This year is no different than last year. Big crappie right after ice out and still taking top. Don't know if this will work, my buddy posted this vid. elsewhere and I am trying to cut and post it here. Hope you like it.
[url "http://s813.photobucket.com/...current=MVI_0003.flv"]http://s813.photobucket.com/...current=MVI_0003.flv[/url]

[url "http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/HenryDavid_2010/2010/Tailgrabber/?action=view&current=MVI_0004.flv"]http://s813.photobucket.com/albums/zz57/HenryDavid_2010/2010/Tailgrabber/?action=view&current=MVI_0004.flv[/url]
[signature]
They like the same things I do flashy shinny things what move even when there not moving....
I always start with white go to iridescent pearls then on chartreuse and then black.. thats just me
[signature]