Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
best fish finder for ice fishing
I am thinking about buying a fish finder for ice fishing. I would like one that is easy to setup, use, and take down. Also want it to be sensitive enough to detect my jig and display it on the screen. Any suggestions about which ones to look, or which to avoid?

Thanks!
[signature]
Marcum LX5 It is very user friendly and will detect your jigs finest movements with its zoom-in features.
Jeff
[signature]
you cant go wrong with a vexilar [fishin]
[signature]
[cool]... I SECOND the Vex.... I have a FL-20 it is the BOMB.. I DIG IT. Can see my jig where ever its at.. Easy set up and charges back up real quick. Have caught Many many fish usin that badboy.. GO VEX!!! [bobhappy]
[signature]
There have been many threads on this topic here so I would go through the archives and look them up. Marcum or vex are really good, find the best deal and go with that one.
[signature]
Also, We are nearing the end of the Ice season....Places like sportsmans and Cabelas have big sales on their ice gear (what they Have left) in a few weeks and you can get a great deal.

Shawn M
[signature]
I use the Fishing buddy. They have an attachment that straps right to my float tube. It picks up your jig and doesn't fog at all. I bought the cheaper one from Sportsman for &118.00.
[signature]
I second the Marcum lx5 choice. I have the lx3 and love it and will upgrade to the 5 next year.
[signature]
I know flashers are "the bomb" for ice fishing. I bought a Humminbird Matrix, it's your basic sonar with a computer-type screen that is used on boats. I can track a rat finkee down to 60ft deep ZERO problems, never had a problem pickin up my jig. Fished 2" tubes at bear lake well over 100 ft and can see my jig and sinker clearly. I even used a rat finkee with a 12 leader dropping down to a #18 fly, and i could see both separate on my finder in 40 ft. It's a bit different setting them up than a flasher but i only paid $110 for mine brand new comparing to $300-$500+ for a flasher it's hard to beat. I was going to buy a flasher this year but after fishing side by side with my 2 buds that have a hummingbird flasher and a marcum flasher i just don't see that big of an advantage. I'll spend the extra 400 bucks on gas[Wink]

The advantages of my finder is that I spend the 30 minutes in the spring and fall switching it from the boat to ice rig. It also displays history which is nice when fishing deeper water so you can see what's happening right this instant up to 30 seconds ago. The battery lasts way longer than on a flasher, i can fish 30+ hours on a 1hr charge. the only real diSadvantage i've found is that if i leave it in the back of my truck in subzero temps on the way out to the lake it takes a few minutes to warm up, if i keep it in my cab and turn it on when i leave the truck there is no problem. Just my 2cents.
[signature]
I love my new Marcum Lx-5. Great flasher. Might sound cliche but I can't believe I fished without one. I think flasher is more important than a shelter or power auger for first upgrade. You can probably find some cheap older models for sale and they work just as good.

As for which brand to go with. That is like asking anyone on here whether toyota, dodge, chevy or ford makes the best trucks. Good luck with that.
[signature]
If you are even thinking about buying a Vex, you should check out the one Wildcat has for sale on the For Sale board: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=560801;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=560801;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
WH2
[signature]
I have to second the Marcum LX5, just got mine month ago and love it.
[signature]
I use an old Eagle Magna II and i can see my jig well with it.
[signature]