Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
small black stone fly
This might be a silly question to most of you.. This is my first winter fly fishing so please bare with me.. My question is.. Do the little black stone fly hatch on sunny days only or do the hatch in all weather.. Also what flys cover all stages ?? Thanks
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
what do you mean by all stages first?
[signature]
I mean nymps to emergers.. Oh what sizes would you use also.. drys are kinda self explanatory.. Thanks
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
where you fishing tomorrow? lets meet up and fish if its close to ogden! well have a little class if you would like.... i need to tell you im no pro at all, and consider myself novice even with all of my posts and nice fish this past year, all of which were pure luck!
[signature]
PM sent!
[signature]
Aw man i wish i could.. But im not going to be able to go till next mon. or tue.. But i will take a rain check on that invite.. cool ?? i do need to hook up with a fellow fly fisher. Every time i go out i do learn a little more but its usally the hard way [pirate].. Any advice is very appreciated..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
PM< sent again!
[signature]
one of these days we will... Larryp and i hooked up on the provo, he dident catch anything before i had to bail for duck hunting, but he told me later he learned alot..... dont quiet see how as im still a beginner and just have happened to get lucky.... if you go to sportsmans, look in the fly fishing section. there is a book there called "How to catch the biggest trout of your life" by Landon Meyer (might have last name spelled wrong)..... anyway he was my guide in CO..... ignore the part part the biggest trout, and read the part about flipping rocks, watching the water, etc... i dont think anyone could explain it better. if you want to save some cash tell me, ill use my mil discount.
[signature]
What I am using is #6 to #12 black Nymphs...softhackles even...I like the way they move.
I just tied a bunch up. I fish them on a sink tip although they are weighted. I like to drag bottom with them.
A PT, Haresear, Copper John are all imitations.
Big Foam for dries...I even use a Chernobyl Ant.
[signature]
Stone Fly hatches usually happen in late spring & summer not to many stone hatchs in the winter at least not in Utah. Your more so going to find a midge hatch in winter.

Stones have 3 stages, Larva, Nymph and Adult. I dont think there just one fly that will mimics all 3 stages.
[signature]
Little black stones are also known as tiny black stoneflies, winter stoneflies or snow flies or snow stoneflies in some areas. They migrate to shore and hatch into adults in February through April and sometimes into May. They are active on the water laying eggs on sunny days or at sunny times of the day. You can see the adults on snow banks and ice sheets along the streams.

In northern Utah this winter stone can be found on Blacksmith Fork, South Fork of the Ogden, Weber (middle between reservoirs), the Middle Provo and Diamond Fork and I am sure other waters. In NE Utah on the Green. They are not as big as their cousins who wait to hatch in May and June, but can be lots of fun. Most of the adults are a 14 or 16 size. The nymphs are one size larger, 12 and 14. Black and very dark brown in color.

I like to use a dark deer hair caddis, black Stimulator, or Rio Grande Trude for the adults. My tie is a biot deer hair caddis/stonefly. It is simple, looks great, floats low and catches fish. Joni's suggestion for nymphs is from a master. Never discount anything she has to say!

Next comes my favorite stonefly hatch, Skwallas!!
[signature]
I guess im just not lucky enough but Ive never once run into s stone fly hatch in the winter [Sad][Sad][Sad]
[signature]
Thank you
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
I wouldn't say that there is a little black stonefly hatch. It is more a fact that they are present. Often noisy rises are present (like those during caddis hatches) but no hatch is apparent. It might be the winter stone. May and June with the Golden and Salmonflies are much more heart stopping dry fly experiences.
[signature]
I didn't think there was a winter stone hatchs but maybe you knew something I didnt
The picture you have is of a full mature adult got any of the smaller winter ones you speak of ?
[signature]
Yea. Try this link: http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/461

If you go to the same site and consider the information there as being accurate, the webmaster lists at least 3 different Stonefly Families as Tiny Winter Blacks in the Order Plecoptera. http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/13/Insect-...Stoneflies
I am not sure how many Genus and Species within each. Size varies greatly.

I speak from a small amount of experience about what stoneflies I have encountered in person and have read. If you are interested in the Genus and Species of Stonefly county by county try this government website: http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr...ut/toc.htm See Widespread Snowfly (Capnia confusa)

Its fun to share information and experience a richer experience through other's experiences. Sorry if this was too much information.

Tight lines!
[signature]
Trying to find some recipes or ideas to tie up some of these stones flies, but am only finding the summer stone flies.[crazy]
[signature]
So I said, " like to use a dark deer hair caddis, black Stimulator, or Rio Grande Trude for the adults."

Joni said, "Big Foam for dries...I even use a Chernobyl Ant." For nymphs she said, "What I am using is #6 to #12 black Nymphs...softhackles even...I like the way they move. I just tied a bunch up. I fish them on a sink tip although they are weighted. I like to drag bottom with them. A PT, Haresear, Copper John are all imitations. "

There are lots of step-by-step instructions and/or recipes on the Internet for each one of those flies. One of my favorites is http://www.charliesflybox.com. My first experience with Winter Stones was on the Green River in March. Threw Puterbaugh's Foam Caddis. http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/...arentID=96 Still gives me chills thinking about the day.

For videos you might search YouTube.

For the Rio Grande Trude, I found one on www.flyanglersonline.com by doing a Google search. http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fot...00fotw.php

Hope that helps.
[signature]
I like the idea of the dark caddis. Sofa Pillows in dark colors.
I see the little ones I call snow flies all the time at this time of year. #16 to #24, Black thread and I use Para-Post for the wings in a Wulff fashion. Sometimes I add a tail.
I have uncovered Dark Brown to Black Nymphs at about 1" to 1 1/2" by flipping rocks.
I think I am going to go tie some Black and Dark Brown Caddis though...I love that idea. #16 to #20 maybe.
Thanks!
[signature]
Good stuff, Its crazy you dont see any people fish any of these flies in the winter.
[signature]