Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tampa Bay Area Fishing Report
Tampa Bay Area <br>Fishing Report<br>Captain Charles Walker<br>10/7/01<br>The red tide has really blossomed to the south of us and has moved into our area with a vengeance. It was terrible how many dead grouper, redfish, mangrove and hog snapper we saw on our Friday trip, all the way out to 25 miles offshore. The reports that I got from the other boats that were out, were that to the north of John’s Pass the fishing was much better and there was not too much red tide that was visible. Actually the inshore fishing was better than farther out. This just reinforces my long held theory that reef fish will run from the red tide organism when the outbreaks occur and that we get great grouper fishing close to shore at odd times of the year because they are running from the red tide to the south of us. Unfortunately they do get surrounded all too frequently with no place to run. Hopefully we will get a good storm or much cooler temperatures soon that will force this outbreak to run it’s course and go away. In the meantime, it’s up to those of us that fish for a living to find areas for our customers that are fishable.<br>On to the bait house reports:<br>Ruskin Bait and Tackle - 813-641-2325 – It’s been really good for the last week. Redfish have been the best biters on just about any bait put in the water. The snook have really been turned on. Grouper have been coming in from the Bay along the ship’s channel and the artificial reefs. Some tarpon are still being caught in the river. The trout are biting, many of them are small and there have been a few cobia seen around channel markers.<br>Buddy’s Bait and Tackle on the Courteney Campbell Causeway in Tampa - 813-287-1026 – Reds and snook have been biting well in the vicinity of the big bridge. Live shrimp are the best bet. Sheepshead are being caught on fiddler crabs, small pieces of shrimp, and blood worms.<br>Bonnie’s Bait and Tackle in Clearwater - 727-446-2772- Right off the beach in 18 feet of water there were lots of grouper caught on live baits early in the week. Lots of grouper have been coming in on the party boats in 20 to 40 feet of water. The artificial reef off the beach at Redington and Indian Rocks has been producing a variety of fish. In the Bay, the memorial Causeway has been a hot spot in the evenings. <br>Trappman’s Bait and Tackle on Gandy Blvd in St. Petersburg - 727-579-1414- Pompano are still biting around the bridges on both fiddler crabs and Doc’s Jigs. Lots of sheepshead are also being caught on fiddlers and pieces of shrimp. Some cobia have been caught on pinfish and snook are being caught on select shrimp.<br>Dogfish Tackle on Redington Beach - 727-392-6644- Spanish mackerel, black drum and flounder have been biting well this week along the beach and at the pier. The red tide has moved in and out so a lot of people aren’t even fishing but you never know when the fish will be around. The backwater is about the same with redfish, trout and snook being caught around the docks, particularly at night.<br>Don’s Dock on Madeira Beach - 727-391-3223- Our offshore boats managed to find some clean water this week and bring in some nice grouper. The Spanish mackerel are still around the artificial reefs and closer to the beach.<br>Pass-a-Grille Bait and Tackle on St. Pete Beach - 727-360-6606- Black drum, sheepshead, flounder, mangrove snapper and more have been coming off our dock this week. There are lots of dead fish around here, but for the most part they seem to be dying somewhere else and floating in with the tide.<br>The Skyway Fishing Pier - 727-865-0668 and the south Skyway - 941-729-0117- Some mangrove snapper have been coming in this weekend and a lot of pompano have shown up. Some Spanish mackerel have been caught along with some grunts. On the south side the words are pompano and grouper. Lots of jacks have been caught and the Spanish mackerel seem to come and go.<br><br>Folks, feel free to call any of the places in my report for more information, and be sure to tell them that you read about the fishing in their area in Capt. Charlie’s fishing report on the Internet.<br><br>If you want more information about fishing in the Tampa Bay area or wish to book a charter, simply e-mail me at captchas@flfish.com or if you wish to arrange a charter faster, call me at 727-546-7257. Be sure and visit my web site for lots more Tampa Bay Area fishing info at: http://www.floridasaltwater.com .<br><br>Good fishing and tight lines,<br>Capt. Charlie<br>http://www.flfish.com/fl<br><br><br><br>Capt. Charlie Walker<br>http://www.flfish.com