Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reels and rods question
Hello all, looking for sum help. I have been trout fishing for about 12 years. Mostly trolling with spinning gear. I want to give bass fishing a shot. I have always just used cheap poles and reels from walmart for trout fishing. So i want to start out bass fishing right. Was looking at starting with two setup's for now. Reels i got picked out are abu garcia revo s. Was looking at abu vendetta for the rods. I would like to use crank baits, jigs, worms, and what ever else i can use for bass fishing. I am lost on picking out the length and action of the two rods i need to get. Will be fishing from a boat in utah at quail lake and sand hollow. Live about 10 minutes from the lakes. Any help would be great, and if its not to much to ask what would be a few good lures to start out with, i don't have any gear at all for bass fishing but would love to get into it[cool].
[signature]
You are lucky to be so close to those lakes. Great bass fishing.
For the rods, I'd go 1 piece, medium action, 6'6 - 7'0 in length.
Lures...I've done very well at those lakes with white or chartreuse spinner baits. I was last there in November and probably caught 20 on a Booyah Super Shad in Chartreuse Glimmer color in about 2 hours.
I also like to use crank baits...the Lucky Craft live pointer in American shad and ghost shad have treated me very well, as have Bomber fat free shad lures in Tennessee shad color.
Plastics always work there...4" - 5" Senko's, Swim Senko's, Maniac Lures, Hula Grubs, etc. I usually fish them weightless or on a Texas rig, and drop-shotting with the hula grub can be excellent.
Good luck. I'm thinking of hitting Sand Hollow this weekend just to see some unfrozen water.
[signature]
I'm not as much help with the rod question as I have also been asking around about what kind of rods to buy. But there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that can really help you out in that area.

However I can be of some help in the lure part. I have had a lot of luck with lipless cranks like rat-l-traps, usually in silver. Spinners have also produced well for me. I have caught fish on Chartreuse and white. I used a topwater popper last August at Powell and had great success with that. When it comes to colors I like to stick to colors that are representative of the food available to the fish in that system. The Utah chub is a pretty wide spread forage fish in Utah so I usually by silver colored cranks and spinner. I have just started getting into the jigging arena and I like the pumpkin and watermelon colors myself. Good luck.
[signature]
Go see Ryan the fishing department manager at the St George Sportsman's.

Other than that, Senko. They are a cigar shape plastic stickbait. The guys at Sportsman's will hook you up on setups and a variety of different baits.

[signature]
Thanks everyone for the advice. I do like sportsman, wife does not like it much when i go there tho lol. Will hit it up this weekend. Doing a few things on the boat hope i can get it working so i can take it out next weekend[Image: happy.gif]
[signature]
The St. Croix mojo Bass series rods are good, especially for under $100. If you want to go up a little bit in price and get a lifetime warranty I would suggest getting an avid. Look at the lengths and actions they have listed in the mojos and match up an Avid to fit that. The mojos are sorted by which style fishing you are going to be doing and they have them pretty spot on imo.

I will tell you that I have broken three Avids in the last year and all you have to do is send them the broken rod with a $20 check to cover return shipping and they send out a brand new rod to replace it.

Whichever way you go good luck finding the bass!
[signature]