Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do Kokes die?
Does anyone know if Kokes die after they spawn? I know the ocean run salmon do, but since the kokes around here don't come out of the Great Salt Lake[Wink], do they return to the lake to spawn another day?
[signature]
Unfotunately, they do. They may be landlocked Sockeye, but they are still Sockeye. Average life of 4 years.
[signature]
Some states stock sterile kokanee and they apparently live much longer and continue to grow.
[signature]
I've seen the Kokanee run at Strawberry. You can see a lot of them at the egg taking station at the turnoff from the main highway. They're beautiful before they start to wear out once the spawn is nearing an end. Their dead bodies are everywhere. They definitely die after.
[signature]
Yeah, they all die. I have seen it a lot, actually. A few years ago I was in Idaho, on the upper Lost River. As soon as they all were dead, the other trout in the stream all went back down to the lake. You could see dead bodies everywhere. It was kind of Sad, in a way.
Koke's have anywhere from a 3 to 5 year life cycle. The kokes up at Causey have a 3 year life cycle where the species at the gorge have a 5 year cycle. I just happen to ask about this when I was fishing at the gorge a few years ago, when the ranger was checking fish for snag marks. I didn't know so I asked.
[signature]