Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
alturas lake
Does Alturas Lake have any good fishing?
[signature]
one of my favorite places to fish. here is a pic from last august.
[signature]
What did you use for bait on that bull? Ron
[signature]
eggs. fresher the better. i have used roe and caught some monsters.
[signature]
What a beautiful fish. Alturas is a great place to camp if you catch it just right. We rode out a monster thunderstorm last August in our tent trailer. Quite "memorable". One of the most violent summer storms I've experienced in the Sawtooths.
[signature]
we were at redfish 2 years ago and they had one of those thunderstorms. they had trees down all over. some lady broke her back, and a guy broke his arm from falling trees. we had to actualy cut our way out on the main road it was like nothing i had ever seen. Was actualy one of the few times that i was scared to the point that i feared for my life.
[signature]
I spoke with a fish management officer about alturas....he said the fishing is not spectacular and that is shouldn't be the primary focus if camping there because it is possible to go home empty-handed. Obviously, your photo says otherwise. What would you say a normal day in July could produce using lures and a canoe?
[signature]
jigs: Know what? After I checked with the wife It was two years ago. August and on a Thursday evening and night I believe. Maybe we were there at the same time?
We were concerned for our safety during the night; reluctant to go to sleep! We'd just been to Redfish (after the spring microburst hit Glacierview C.G.) and got tired of the lake lice. Decided to try Alturas and it is spectacular camping. That middle campground next to the lake is where we were when the storm hit. Unforgettable... Very humbling experience.
[signature]
Actually, sounds you may have been at Redfish during the microburst? Came in over the lake and blew out Glacierview C.G. A few injuries and a fallen trees damaged some RV's. Glacierview was always our favorite Redfish C.G. and that's where we were originally headed. After getting there, Glacerview was closed with numerous trees down; looked like a tornado had hit. We wound up in the C.G. across from the boat ramp. Too many jetskis, boats, kids, etc. (around 50 people in the two campsites on our flanks so we headed over to Alturas. That valley behind the lake is a real wind generator. Still in all, Alturas is one of the prettiest C.G.'s I've stayed at in S.W. Idaho; especially if you want solitude.
[signature]
brown. you could do well in a canoe just stick by the inlet. we caught alot of planter bows, and a few kokanie which are very very small. the bull trout are what i trigger. i barb my hooks as they are c&r but they are a blast that one in the pic is around 6-8 lb i imagine but i have caught some up to 12 lb in there. just remember stick to the inlet for some reason they gather around there. right at dark they head up the stream after leaches. i have had them go threw my legs as they swim upstream. if you have any other questions feel free to ask

yes we were at heiburn or however you spell it during the microburst. we had 3 chainsaws and cut tell 2 in the morning to get trees out of the road to get ppl who needed out. it was like nothing i have ever seen and you can still see the down trees and lack of trees around. i am with you though alturas has alot less ppl than redfish does. but my family likes redfish because it is in a central location for those who like to hit town and the rivers.
[signature]
Don't know if this post is still alive, but we'll try.

I'm located in Cache Valley - N. Utah. My kids are going to summer camp at Luther Heights, right by Alturas. So I was thinking of just staying up there for the week of camp (rather than drive 4 times).

Was thinking it would be fun to bring my 12ft flatbottom Jon boat and do some fishing. Maybe explore a few of the lakes around there. Have a small gas, and electric trolling motor. But now I wonder if it's worth it. Sounds like the fishing isn't so great there? And is it all catch-n-release? I was hoping to catch some dinner. What kinds of fish are in those lakes? I'd love to meet some Kokes!

Would downriggers be of value? How deep does it get?
Seen a number of ski-type boats, and I guess it can get pretty windy and rough at times, no? HOPE not to have such a wicked storm as the one you describe! I think my son may have been up at camp when that came through!

Just trying to decide if towing the boat for 6-7 hours of drive, and up-n-over Galena pass would be worth it. Or just bring some waders, and plan on pitching from shore?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
[signature]
If it were me, I'd leave the boat home and bring my hiking gear. There are multiple lakes within a few hours hike from multiple trail heads in the area. The mountain lakes should be turning on about now. Bring lures and flies with a fly bubble. You should do well and you'll see some beautiful country.
[signature]
+1

Windriver
[signature]
They just stocked 4000 catchable trout in Alturas. Not necessarily my cup of tea but something to ponder...
[signature]
Thanks for the input. Still on the fence, but sounds like fly-fishing is more the rage around that area - between lakes and rivers.

SO this might just be my opportunity to learn how to do that. Since getting a boat, I've been focused on learning to troll/locate fish. But I also inherited my dad's fly fishing gear when he "retired" from fishing.

Plus a buddy is going to come up for a few days also, and HE is NOT into fishing, but VERY into hiking - so....

Maybe I should get a float tube! Bet that mountain water is NICE and Frigid!
[signature]
take the fishing gear but i would also leave the boat, do some hiking. i have been to some of those mountain lakes and cought beutiful cutts. As for the kokes we use to catch alot of them before they put the c&r tag on the bulltrout, now the bulltrout are numerous and seem to feed heavily on the kokes. I have cought large bulls that will actualy throw up 2 or 3 kokes as you bring them in. Other things that you should check out. The sawtooth fish hatchery, they check there traps daily at 8a.m. they should still be getting chinnok daily and they are getting a few sockeye i can never turn a chance to see the worlds rarest fish. And another favorite is to go watch the band at the redfish lake lodge on wend. i cant remember the times that they are there somewere in the afternoon. but if its muzzie braun you cant miss the show and no better scenery in the world.

have fun and be sure to let us know how you do
[signature]
ok stocked trout fishing at various places
great bull trout fishing, caught 10 from 16-24 inches one day last year.
great early season kokanee fishing, need to time the melt just right, late season melt this year so next few weeks should be great, after that not much kokanee action.
good streamer fishing or spinners for both bull and kokanee.
if fishing to try and land one of the bull's please use single hooks without barbs and keep them in the water.
hope you have a good trip
[signature]
Welcome to the forum. Some nice information on Alturas Lake. I am sure that it will be helpful to some that go this year. Thanks!
[signature]
[quote stevemiller]ok stocked trout fishing at various places
great bull trout fishing, caught 10 from 16-24 inches one day last year.
great early season kokanee fishing, need to time the melt just right, late season melt this year so next few weeks should be great, after that not much kokanee action.
good streamer fishing or spinners for both bull and kokanee.
if fishing to try and land one of the bull's please use single hooks without barbs and keep them in the water.
hope you have a good trip[/quote]

hey stevemiller, thanks for the report. any tips on catching kokanee in alturas? do you need a boat? where do you fish and how deep.

thanks

ryan
[signature]