Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Damsel or dragonfly
Tied up a damsel with realistic wings just thought I'ld share it.
[Image: 102_0635.jpg]
[signature]
now that is awesome looking.. :-)...

MacFly
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Nice work tailgrabber. What hook did you use?[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Nice!
What did you use for the wings?
[signature]
The hook is a TMC 101 size 10 straight eye 1x fine wide gape. The wings are made of tape, thread and clingwrap I colored with markers.
I found a vid on youtube for making the wings. They used hackle where I used thread. I couldn't get the hackle to lay nice.
[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNDbEc8BV9M&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNDbEc8BV9M&feature=related[/url]
[signature]
What an awesome idea and as usual, great work TG.
[signature]
That looks great.

Have you tried casting it yet?
[signature]
Haven't tried to cast it yet. but have cast some I made with featured wings. That one cast fine. I will post something once I get a chance to throw it.
[signature]
That's an awesome looking fly tailgrabber
[signature]
Thanks. Here is the latest fly I've been working on. A friend showed me a pic from a company in england that makes them. I can't seem to get the tapper right on the body though.[Image: mayfly1.jpg]
[signature]
Very NICE!!!! WOW
[signature]
awesome.. as for the angle I think there was a recent post on that on this forum.. but Im not sure who posted..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'll have to look around for the post. I made a few with an extended body made of dubbing which looked nice and tappered. But this fly is claimed to float all day because of the foam body. Here is a pic of the dubbed body
[Image: 1stattemp.jpg]
[signature]
both look awesome to me..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
tailgrasbber, you are awesome! Just remember, the tighter you wrap foam, the less buoyant it becomes. When making a fly that small, I am betting the dubbing is going to float better. Now if there was a way to make that taper from a cylinder piece of foam...now that would float. Then you have to be sure it floats upright.

LOVE THEN WINGS
[signature]
I haven't put it in the water yet. I'm a little sceptical on the foam fly myself. The first flies I ever tied were made out of foam. They all sunk faster then any soaking wet dry fly. This one is only tied to give it a ribbed look.
I did see some bugs on the water yesterday so it won't be long now.
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: dumb.gif]Likewise I have had difficulty getting the body taper proportionately right.[/#008000][/font]
[center]
[signature]