Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North Fork Outdoors Outlaw X5
Hi all. Just joined the forum after finding it today.

I'm looking at replacing my Dave Scadden Cardiac Canyon with the Outlaw X5. I've had it since 2003, but I want something that has a better configuration, is more stable, and has larger diameter tubes. I've had my eye on the Skykomish Sunrise H2 for awhile and then I saw the Outlaw X5 on NFO.

I'm indecisive about which to get, the SS H2 or the X5. For those that have used the traditional style kickboats, like the Skykomish, how does the X5, with its Unitrac pontoons, compare? Is it faster when kicking in a straight line with fins, rowing, or using a trolling motor? Having used the traditional style, would you say that the X5 and its Unitrac design offers superior performance?

How much thicker and durable is the fabric used on the X5 compared to the Cardiac Canyon, which uses AIRE/Outcast ferrari cloth? I'm almost positive it's the same 24/27 oz/sq.yd. used on the Pac 800FS-1110FS. In fact, mine is the same green top/gray bottom as seen on the Outcast website.

flygoddess, I saw that you have the X5 set up with a trolling motor. Is it easy to reach around and slide the shaft up to bring the motor out of the water? Or is there enough open space between the rear deck and the pontoon to pivot the trolling motor out of the water without hitting the pontoon? How do you like the carbon fiber oars? How long are they? I'm currently using the Cataract Mini Magnum 7.5 ft oars and wonder how they compare.

The NFO site states "Of course the ability to run the X5 as a front entry pontoonboat one minute and switch stance like a Zodiac style the next offers unbelievable versatility." Does that mean it can be done on the fly while on the water or would you have to get off and rotate the frame 180 degrees?

Finally, is Cabela's the best place to purchase the X5 given their customer service? Or should I just buy from NFO direct? Cabela's says 2-3 weeks til delivery.
[signature]
welcome...boy do we have allot in common!

[Image: IMG_1023.jpg]

as you can see, I made a solid deck on mine that was 4' by 5' aluminum with carpet for the glare.
I thought and still think, the CC is one of the best pontoon on the water. Low profile and fast.

Now, the Outlaw X5. Okay, I like that it is bladderless. Lighter and heavy duty cover.
I have the older X5 frame (same as on the Skykomish) with the removeable foot pegs.
You do need to be off the water to turn the frame around, in fact you can run two frames on one Outlaw toon.
Optional heavy duty back platform for the GAS motor and Dave has run a 25 hp on it[Wink]

Comparison - the Outlaw has bigger diameter toon so you are higher. When the wind comes up, I know your Cardiac wants to turn in the wind (easy to correct, but it still wants to turn)
This one piece toon doesn't. It tracks straight no matter what.

I had the Navigator II (discontinued now) before which was a frameless 9'er. It convinced me of how true these track.

On the Cardiac a Minn Kota 30 short shank is fine, with the Outlaw you nee the bigger longer shank motor.

The cardiac does fly through the water with NO resistance, but the Outlaw can have resistance if the water is choppy. I noticed water hitting the connect of the two.
Rowing or Kicking I felt the outlaw excelled, but the CC did better with a motor (meaning it can use a smaller motor)

I like the fact I need to just place the frame on the toons and cinch a couple of straps compared to the lining the pontoons up and making sure they are secure.
Hope this helps
FG
[signature]
Oh, and my oars are 7'6" and I love the Carbon oars...I will never go back to the Carlisle Oars.
The motor is easy to raise and lower, but I have to turn my body. I just raise it up, then turn it side ways so the handle doesn't hit me in the head and I tilt it.

As far as Ordering or buying...I am guess it is sixes, whatever works for you.
[signature]
flygoddess, thanks for replying.

You've had quite a few kickboats. [shocked] And you definitely like rocking the yellow with blue frame look. I'm not a fan of red, especially with a blue frame, so if I get either the X5 or Skykomish H2 it will most likely be blue or yellow, though I'm leaning toward blue.

One thing I don't like about the CC is that the diamond plate platform directly behind the seat is too small for a tm battery and smaller battery for my sonar. It can fit a tm battery, but there are no edges to catch it if it slides. I also felt that the frame had too much flex and movement, especially the rear section where a tm is mounted.

OK. I apologize in advance for the questions bombardment. [Smile]

How well does the X5 track using a trolling motor (referred to tm from now on) if going forward with the pointed ends forward? Is it as fast as the CC if using the same lb thrust tm? What lb thrust tm are you using?

Is the X5 as easy to pivot or spin using fins as the CC?

I thought that the rear connected section of the X5 might result in waves hitting it and coming over the top. If a wave hits you from behind does the X5 still roll over it well? The CC was very good at this.

Ultimately, which one do you like better, the CC or X5? I know the X5 is easier to assemble and align, but once assembled I never disassemble my kickboat. I transport it on top of a roof rack and leave it assembled at home. I'm more interested in the on the water performance.

Anything else you can think of will help.

Oh, one more thing. Is the tube diameter (measured at the midpoint) 15" or 16"? The NFO site lists it as 16", but the online store site lists it at 15".
[signature]
[quote stealthbassin]flygoddess, thanks for replying.

You've had quite a few kickboats. [shocked] And you definitely like rocking the yellow with blue frame look. I'm not a fan of red, especially with a blue frame, so if I get either the X5 or Skykomish H2 it will most likely be blue or yellow, though I'm leaning toward blue.

One thing I don't like about the CC is that the diamond plate platform directly behind the seat is too small for a tm battery and smaller battery for my sonar. It can fit a tm battery, but there are no edges to catch it if it slides. I also felt that the frame had too much flex and movement, especially the rear section where a tm is mounted.

That is why I put a whole deck on mine although the frame flex was a good thing to me. I put outside carpeting on the deck for reflective purpose, plus by putting a small piece of velcro on the bottom of say a battery box, it wasn't going anywhere

OK. I apologize in advance for the questions bombardment. [Smile]

How well does the X5 track using a trolling motor (referred to tm from now on) if going forward with the pointed ends forward? Is it as fast as the CC if using the same lb thrust tm? What lb thrust tm are you using?

Is the X5 as easy to pivot or spin using fins as the CC?

I think on both these they are equal, but I don't go forward very often. To me, they are not meant to be pushed, but rather pulled. No keel or rudder.

I thought that the rear connected section of the X5 might result in waves hitting it and coming over the top. If a wave hits you from behind does the X5 still roll over it well? The CC was very good at this.

It cuts through just fine, but you will feel the water hit, just like you feel a side wave hit your CC. A slight/quick jolt. Nothing major, but different from the CC

Ultimately, which one do you like better, the CC or X5? I know the X5 is easier to assemble and align, but once assembled I never disassemble my kickboat. I transport it on top of a roof rack and leave it assembled at home. I'm more interested in the on the water performance.

I Was disassembling on trips as we had a camping trailer a our Silverado has a short bed. We would put one on the Yakima roof rack though. But then we got a receiver put on the trailer and pull a flat bed with both Outlaws on it. I do have the suitcase for them, pretty nice way to store

Anything else you can think of will help.

Oh, one more thing. Is the tube diameter (measured at the midpoint) 15" or 16"? The NFO site lists it as 16", but the online store site lists it at 15".[/quote]

I am going to say 16". Not sure HOW they measure. Maybe half, cause they have the CC at 12". I have the now discontinued Maxxum 40 by Minn Kota. It is really nice. I tried the hubbys 30 with a short shaft and it was at it's limit. The platform for the motor is quite a bit higher. Which do I like better? At first I was sorry I sold my CC because it had everything, but by third trip (plus to the point we were not breaking down pontoons every trip) I started realizing how superior the Outlaw is in every way
[signature]
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate that.
[cool]

How much did you sell your CC for? How long did you own it?
[signature]
Bought in new in 2000 and sold it for $600. last year.
[signature]
I recently bought the X5 and am enjoying it immensely. I've had it out 3 times so far. It's my first pontoon so I can't compare it to the traditional style. I second everything FG says.

I put a 40# Minn Kota (36") on it but haven't turned it around yet so it pulls me. I will be trying that on my next outing as I was at the mercy of the waves last time out as I had to motor directly up wind to get home. I did notice that by leaving the oars in the water they acted somewhat as a keel.

I also haven't tried it zodiac style but someone is giving me a 4hp motor soon and I will be trying it in the saltwater. The thought of a minature bass boat with both the gas and tm is very appealling.

I especially love the casting platform. It's been very helpful when using my shooting head.

Just to add to your decision, also consider whether any of the new frameless designs might meet your needs. Sounds like you will be able to keep yours set-up (I can't) so it might not be as much of an advantage. I'm shopping for a foldable trailor now to see if it'll fit in my already crowded garage.
[signature]
Please remember to get the beefed up deck for that gas motor. It has a higher mounting plate and re enforced.
[signature]
The one I got with it is supposed to be the sturdier model.

Not sure how I can tell. The side rails are not the same height from front to rear but get bigger towards the rear.

I also just bolted on two reinforcing braces (one on each side of the motor) attaching the deck to the back wall. When I first tried my trolling motor before the braces, I noticed that when I put it on 5 the motor flexed the deck slightly. I also noticed that level 5 is a whole lot more powerful than 4.

Jim
[signature]
I have the sturdier model also, but the one he had for GAS motor, the wall was like 8" to 10" high, where mine is 4" or 5"...plus the deck itself was like 6" wider.
But he was using a 25 hp motor. 4 is probably minor.

I bolted a 2X4 to the back and put angled metal to support the flex.

Anyway, check this out:

http://www.store.northforkoutdoors.com/i...ucts_id=58
[signature]
I modeled my braces after the ones in the photo.

Dave will be down here in PaSadena in a few weeks and I'll ask him about the decks. I'm pretty sure he said I could use the one I have if I braced it. I added the 2x4 as well.

Jim
[signature]
Can you take a picture of yours and let me know what Dave says?
[signature]
flygoddess, after giving it some thought I think I will keep the CC and modify the deck.

I was thinking of going the marine grade plywood with boat carpeting route instead of diamond plate. I will either have the larger platform/deck like the one you did for your CC or just do the rear deck behind the diamond plate.

How did you do yours? It looks like it doesn't lie above the frame, almost like it's flush with it. Did you place the platform on top of the frame or inside the frame? What thickness? What was the total cost? Any detailed info would help.
[signature]
Here is my Photo Bucket of the CC.

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Fl...%20canyon/

The aluminum was bend front and rear and the clips went through it as well as the frame. It doesn't come off.
More expensive, with a 5' X 4" sheet, but allot lighter.
My Brother in law Pokymon has the wood rear deck.
I am not sure what thickness the aluminum was, same as the piece already on the boat.
It is nice having the whole floor covered. I would drop stuff out of my bag and would just land on the deck. Lost a perfectly good radio once just trying to put it in the side bag and was a bit short. slid right down the inside of the bag....not after the deck though. Plus a little bit of velcro works great.
I don't worry too much about the Outlaw, cause the step is down there and I have dropped stuff on the step.
[signature]
Thanks for the pics. They will definitely help.

Did you use aluminum diamond plate or smooth aluminum? I only see the front clip that secures the aluminum to the frame. Did you drill any holes in the frame to put more clips through? How did you attach the carpet? Will the aluminum support a 50lb battery on the rear deck?

I'm debating marine grade plywood vs daimond plate. Plywood seems like it would be easier to work with, cut etc. Diamond plate is lighter, but I would want to make sure I could have it cut to my specs and bent. I would prefer diamond plate due to its lighter weight. I still have the 26" x 16" 1/2" inch marine plywood rear deck from my first kickboat and it's heavy for its size.

P.S . Is your username freestone on the Washington Fly Fishing forum?
[signature]
No, I am Blue on the Washington.
Just the front and back are bolted. The deck was bent front and back, I think it is 4'. Then drilled a hole in the deck to match the one on the frame. I couldn't bring myself to ever drill the frame. In the back, a cut out for the motor mount.
After a few years, we wished we had gone a little wider, specially in the bag area. Made like ears on the deck so the bags were mounted on the outside of the frame....more room. But we fly fish and have a basket on our left side for the line.

Here are more modifications. Plus some other boats.

http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/Fl...d%20Motor/

The none with the wood deck and Sat. receiver is Pokymons, the one with the custom frame is another friend.
[signature]
Oh, and yes it was Diamond plate. Outdoor carpeting glued on with 3M spray adhesive. Needs to be waterproof.
[signature]
Thanks again. This is really shortening the learning curve.

I plan on using 16oz or 20oz boat carpet. I just have to find a place that sells smaller pieces. I saw one site that had 6' x 16', but it was $100-150.

You said that the front and back are bolted, but I only see the platform clipped to the frame in the front. I looked at the pictures of the back and couldn't see where it was secured.

How did you bend the diamond plate? I don't think I have the tools to do it myself. What did you use to cut it.

How far under the diamond plate did you wrap the carpet?
[signature]
Okay, you are right, it isn't bolted in the back it is the sides where the rid holders are. They are U bolts. Two per side, around the frame and up through the aluminum.

It has been a long time, but we had a metal shop cut the main shape and a metal break to bend, but I used a file and jig saw for the rounding off and slits. Make sure not to drill holes while on the boat though[laugh]

The carpet, I just went to the edges, but I also spray painted the under side so it wouldn't glare.
[signature]