Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rock Fishing
Hello All, referred to this board from Saltwater board. Was wondering is "rocking fishing" is still avail in So Ca. Whn i was younger my pop's used to taking me fishing off the rocks in beach areas. But dont know if this is still an option or even whr to go if it is. Thanx for any help you all can provide.
Good Fishing!!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Hi there baitfloater - while I don't fish the salt anymore this is what I was able to find out: In the LA area are there are many landings that run a wide variety of trips, some to Catalina, and San Clemente Islands and local inshore trips. These will fish for Calico bass year round and when the water warms up White Sea Bass, usually around May-June. Yellowtail is always a possibility, but spring and summer is the best. Tuna and Dorado will show up around the islands water conditions being right. Also there is a variety of rock fish available, but now this is limited because area closures and restrictions. Forgot to mention that Halibut and Barracuda are also a possibility.

Further north is Oxnard & Ventura, which run day and overnight trips to the Channel Islands. I think that this is the most interesting area, and for me has been the most productive. In addition to the generally good fishing the scenery at the Islands is wonderful. Calico bass are always a target here, in the spring White Sea Bass are there and in the fall Yellowtail are around. A trip here will usually include some time looking for Halibut.

As mentioned the surf fishing is good all up and down the coast. The area I'm most familiar with is around Malibu up through Ventura. If you are going on a private boat try fishing the Kelp beds for bass and many other species. Just make sure you are aware of where you are as there are many areas closed to fishing now and special restrictions in place that there didn't used to be. Pick up a copy of the Western Outdoor news to find out what is biting and where.
[/#008000][/font]
[signature]