Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A liitle Hello from over here
You will be able to tell by my name I am from Germany. The pikes staying in the weed waiting for an easy prey are called 'Krauthecht' over here. The proper translation would be 'a pike standing' in the weed.
I ususally fish in waters in Germany and the Netherlands. On vacation we go to Sweden and Norway and usually take care that there is a good spot in the neighborhood where we rent our lodge. This year it will be Lake Maelaren which is known for nice pikes. (Sweden)
Pikes and bass is what we usually go for. Salmon is not so common over here - lower Rhine area - and the rivers and creeks offering the posibility are in the hands of flyfisher clubs . . . If you catch one it is usuall by coincedence or you go to put and take waters. Hate to do that.
As a member of the Deutscher Hechtangler Club (German Pike Anglers Club) I try to fish in a responsible way. That means in most cases the fish goes back to the water it was taken from. In the Netherlands it is common law anyway. That's one of the reasons why you find a lot of nice pikes there.
As far as I read about it it is getting more and more common in Northern America as well.
I dream to go to Canada or the US on day to go for Pike or Muskellunge. I once was there but that's already more than 20 years ago and I was not really there to fish. I just went one day and it was amazing. I hope one day I will be there again and hopefully will have lot's of time to spent on and at the water.
Hope to meet nice people here who will like to tell about their fishing.
If there is something you want to ask, feel free.

Best regards

Krauthecht
[signature]
welcome to the site!!!!!!! you picked a good one buddy!!!!! check out this link to one of our boards its the pike, muskie, walleye board. i bet it will be right up your alley.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=165"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...gforum.cgi?forum=165[/url]

Enjoy!
[signature]
hiya Krauthecht and welcome to our site... CJ has already gotten you to the freshwater/pike forums but you may also want to check out our [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=20"]European forum[/url] ..

btw.. when you are out pike hunting what style of fishing do you prefer to use (spinning, baitcasting, fly?? ) ?

MacFly
[signature]
i did most of my fishing in the Birkenfeld area and usually did quiet well. there was a tiny little pond outside of Kasierslautern that was loaded with pike and rainbows that was alot of fun right after work. welcome!
[signature]
Thank you for the warm welcome.

I prefer fishing with hard lures. In the Dutch 'Polder' these are dykes used to drain the water out of the fields, you need to go for bait running on the surface. Manns minus 1 is a good choice there. The bomber also works fine.
Jerk baites also work there and you would surprised what size of pike you can catch in these trenches eventhough some of them are just 1-2 yards deep and they are max 6-8 yards whide. But it is a whole system like web.
I haven't tried so far because I don't have the gear and seems rather complicated. I usually go for spinn fishing. Last year I bought some bait casting equipment.
What we also do is trolling as far as it is allowed. At lots of water in Europe it is not allowed to do trolling. Even one of the waters which gets more an more famous, The Bodden (Eastern German coast close to Ruegen) it is not allowed.
Coast line in Sweden no permission either.

We sometimes go to an artificial lake in Holland (google Vinkeveen). It was dug out to get the sand and gravel for the buildings in Amsterdam. It is nice fishing there.
[signature]
sounds awesome to me... makes me wish I had done more fishing when I was over in European area many many years ago.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I live in Erkelenz - close to the Dutch border.
I would have posted the google link but I don't know whetehr I do have the permission.
Kaiserslautern is about 3-4 hours driving. There are better spots to go. The problem is more the number of anglers compared to the number of lakes. Keep in mind: Gemany is smaller than Montana but we have 14 times more people living here.
My federal state is half the size of West Virginia but 10 times the citizens. In fact it is not really mine - I share it with some others [Wink]
[signature]
Welcome to BFT. Curious why they don't allow trolling on so many of the fishing waters? Is it because they are small and motors are not allowed?
[signature]
do you have pics of these small pond im interested in seeing these ponds and the fish that come out of them.
[signature]
Hey there, Welcome to the site.
[signature]
gentelmen I am moving this over the the freshwater forum where ya'll can continue this discussion.. :-)...

MacFly
[signature]
pls Mr. Admin don't kick me noob a.. if I place a link here. If it is deleted
google 'Snoek' and 'Polder' that will bring you to such a picture:
[url "http://www.totalfishing.nl/IMG/Image/vb4/vb18dec06X17%20%20vissen%20met%20ron%20op%2012-12-2006%20met%20jerkfly%20belkmerweg%20008.jpg"]http://www.totalfishing.nl/IMG/Image/vb4/vb18dec06X17%20%20vissen%20met%20ron%20op%2012-12-2006%20met%20jerkfly%20belkmerweg%20008.jpg[/url]
[signature]
this exactly what I think when I rember the days in Canada and the US[cool]
[signature]
learning by doing: typical Polder
[signature]
Holy crap that a nice pike! and that is a little stream! i would never thing there would be monsters like that in such small water! Way to go! i got to take a trip over there to your country. [Smile]
[signature]
Slow down. To catch such a caliber is rather tough. Standard size is between 50 and 90 cm.
But the size of pikes is definately increasing. They got larger because catch and release is an abolute must in the Netherlands. Same in Eire. A fish you eat at 80cm will not make to a meter or more [cool]
But fishing there is really something special.
You buy a membership for a club. That's valid from Jan-Dec and that's it. Usually around 30-40 Euros.
You have to deal with rather strict regulations closed season, protected fish species, how many rods, type of bait, type of hooks no fishing in the dark and and.
But that's even easier than fishing in Germany. Here you have to go for six or eight weeks to evening classes.
In the end you can participate in an examin were you proof youre knowledge. Than you get an official paper like a driving license. With this you can go another department were you get your annual fishing papers. These you need to have to be able to buy the permission right to fish at a lake or a river. I know. It's a bit weird [crazy]
[signature]
i guss americans really luck out over there. i had to take my state side liscense to the Rath Haus and sign a document stating i would respect private proerty and fishing club rights, paid 18 Euro and had my fishing liscense. i found a farmer that owned some land along the Rhine that allowed me to fish, and depending on the time of year keep one or two if i wanted. i always gave him one fish after i cleaned it for thanking him.
[signature]
You were lucky because you weren't caught . . . It was absolutely illegal what you did. [:p]
The right to fish is not necssarily owned by those who own the property around the water. And the Rhine is a water where you have cooperatives owning the fishing rights. They and only they are allowed to permit the permission papers. Here in NRW it is chaep. I think about 30 Euros a year. But only allows you to fish in the stream. Not at harbours, at the mouth of other rivers and not where it is connected to other lakes.
Germany is the home of bureaucracy [:/]
For you as a non citizen of Germany it was easy to get the main permission.
My son had one for last year. He became 16 in August. Until you are 16 you get a junior license. It allows you to fish as long as you are acompanied by someone with a full license. The same day he became 16 he was not allowed to fish any longer. When you are 16 you need to have a full license. But you can't get a full license until you are 14 and you can't pass the test until you are 13.
Children are not allowed to fish without being accompanied by adults!
No joke!
[signature]
Wow, and to think that in Utah folks complained when they had to start paying $5.00 for 12 and 13 year olds to fish and we don't need to take any classes and private places that you can't fish are the exeption rather than the rule.
[signature]