Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
float tube repair kit (help)
[size 1]I was looking at the patch kit that came with my tube and can't figure it out! Hope someone out there knows what to do with it.

there is a tube of glue and 2 patches (I'm fine up to this point) Then there is this thing that looks like a little pot pipe. It has a soft rubber "bowl" on top and plastic part on the other end that screws off. There are also 2 plastic tubes about 2" long and 1/8" in diameter.

What am I supposed to do with this besides smoke weed through it [sly]?

Al [/size]
[signature]
[cool]You may choose to do with it what I do with all of the repair kits I get. Toss them out and buy a tube of AquaSeal. If you want a faster curing time (2 hours instead of 24 hours) also buy a bottle of the Cotol cleaner and accelerant. This is the best stuff for repairing most air bladders and waders. You just squeeze out a little, smooth it over the leak and let it cure into a flexible patch.

Most of the patch kits I have used don't work worth a hoot. You might as well use them as "accessories"...for your other bad habits.

About the tubes and such, I can only guess that they may be valve inserts, for a boston valve. Keep them, just in case.

On that Aquaseal, once you open it, keep it in the freezer (closed back up). It will keep for many months between uses. Most of the patch kits will have the adhesive dry up after the tube is first opened...no matter how tight you close it.

If you do want to use the patch kit, you cut a piece of the patch material to overlap the hole by at least a half inch. Squeeze a bit of the adhesive on both the patch and the air bladder and spread it around to the size of the patch. When the adhesive dries to "tacky", press the patch onto the prepared spot on your bladder. Press around all the edges with the blunt end of a table knife or a screwdriver handle...on a hard surface. let it dry and cure for a few hours before airing it back up.

NOW...be careful. Just cause you got a patch kit doesn't mean you can go fighting your way through broken glass and barbed wire. Or, down here in Arizona it does not give you immunity to cactus spines when you hike around a local desert lake.
[signature]
Hi-

The tubes are for 2 reasons.

1-Inserting into the glue bottle so that you can put glue under a patch that is failing. You stick the tube into the adhesive opening and squeeze carefully. This never works good for me and I don't reccommend to use it this way.

2-The best reason is to use the tube to apply glue to patch and hole surface. When you use this tube, it makes it spread glue evenly and very thinly, the more glue you use, the more chances of failed patch, so spread glue very very thin on both sides and apply like Mr. Tube Dude has typed.
[signature]