Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lures with Spinning or Casting?
Howdy,
I was wondering if there was are advantages of using certain types of lures on certain types of setups (Spinning or Baitcasting) while fishing for bass?

thanks
[signature]
I think you've asked a loaded question, and it really depends. Typically people finesse with spinning gear, lighter line and baits. And throw casting tackle for heavier lures, heavier line into heavier cover.

Here is my arsenal...
Spinning - Jerkbaits, shakey head, drop shot, senkos, texas rigged finesse worms.
Casting - Crankbaits, topwater, big jerkbaits, big t-rigged plastics, senkos, jin-n-pig, swimbaits.

Of course there are always ten thousand exeptions.

HockeyMan
[signature]
Yeah, you're going to get a hundred different answers on this becuase it's really very preference-dependent.

My personal system -

I try to use baitcasters as much as possible for finesse situations; I will tell you why. I pinch the line between my thumb and index finger to help with strike detection. Since I started doing this, my success rate in hooking fish has gone up dramatically. Also, days when the fish aren't hammering the bait really hard, I've still been able to detect the lightest hits on my bait. For this reason, I use a baitcaster for all texas rigs, jigs, shaky head, many cases for senkos, grubs, and tubes.

I also use baitcasters for hard baits (1/4 oz and larger)... cranks, jerkbaits, rattle traps, swimbaits, chatterbaits, under-spins, buzzbaits, spinnerbaits, etc... sheerly out of preference. Baitcasters are more comfortable to me. Also, baitcast reels are generally lighter than spinning reels of comparable price.

I'll use spinning rods for dock skipping tubes and senkos. I'll use a spinning rod for lures that weigh less than 1/4 oz because baitcasters have a difficult time with tiny lures. I also use a spinning rod for night time fishing to avoid overspools when visibility is lacking.
[signature]
casting for light small lures.

spinning for heavy lures.

spinning reel is great with breaded line for heavy cover and short casts and will keep a big one on.

spinning can cast even the smallest lure a long distance if you have the right line and have the drag set right.

It's preference.
[signature]
"Breaded line". Is that extra crispy or original? [Wink]

I'm just giving you a hard time...I know what you meant but it gave me a chuckle when I read it.
[signature]
WHEAT BREAD.....
[signature]