Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Might start fly tieing
This winter has been a really boring one without being able to fish. So I'm thinking of started to tie flies in the off season and whenever i can during the season. My question is what would you guys suggest for a good starting kit? I've seen some of the ones at cabelas and bass pro but wasn't really sure which to get. Also is there any instructional DVD or book I should get to teach me how to tie these flies?
[signature]
This kit looks awesome. Every fly is a good choice.
http://www.wapsifly.com/wapkits.html
the kitw1
[signature]
hiya DSbass.. looks like our fly goddess got you a link to a good starter kit.. as for you other question.. there are a number of dvds and books that you can buy that are great.. but you can also do a goodle search for fly tying and you will get a multitude of hits on step by step instructions for tying up common flies.. but

for any of the dvds, books, or on line video you will need to have that specific material on hand.. Id suggest you get a good kit such as the one FG suggested and tie up those flies and see how you like it .. then you can start looking for bookds, dvds, and on line videos and getting the material needed as you go.. by that time you will be familiar with what you are doing

Id also suggest that you check local fly shops and fly clubs.. a lot of them offer classes on fly tying ...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
There are some really awsome people here that can help
you get going. YOU guys know who Im talking about [Smile].
Anyways, best of luck with that.

Peter
[signature]
I'm usually against starter kits. I got one when I started tying and I still have about 75% of the stuff I got with the kit, its not because I don't tie a lot of flies its because I had no use for the stuff that came with it. But that kit the flygoddess linked you to looks like a winner. There is a lot of good stuff in that kit that I think would be really useful in starting to tie flies. Good luck with you decision.
[signature]
[center][Image: happy.gif][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]I bought a Dyna-King kit to get me started. A bit pricey but for me it was worth the money[/#008000][/font].
[center][url "http://www.flymartonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=103"][#ff0080]Dyna_King_Kit[/#ff0080][/url]
[signature]
Thanks guys for your input. I saw a kit at cabelas I'm thinking of buying. It pretty much comes with everything you need to get started and some materials with a dvd on how to tie a bunch of flies.
[signature]
you realize that once you start that you can never come back.. it will consume you into the abyss of creating that perfect fly for that perfect situation.. [laugh]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
.... you realize that once you start that you can never come back.. it will consume you into the abyss of creating that perfect fly for that perfect situation ...

Yes ... we all go through that phase ! [Smile]

Then there is the lots of tandem hooks phase ...

The perfect fly for a glass case stage ...

The teeny tiny hook sizes ...

Fly tying can evolve into a lifetime pursuit if you want it to.
But every time you browse in your fly box looking for what to tie on, every time you get a rise and land a fish on your own tied flies, the entire fishing part is enhanced.
[signature]
that is the absolute truth.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
O yea I've accepted the fact that it might take over my life in the winter time lol. Like all of you said it would feel a lot better landing a fish on a fly you tied then one you bought in the store. I'm still new to fly fishing, I bought my first fly rod really late in the season so I didn't really get it out much but this year i hope to get it out a lot and try to catch my first fish on a bought fly let alone one I tied.
[signature]
That is great....we are right there with you!!!!
[signature]
[quote IrishFloatTube] .... The teeny tiny hook sizes ...

.[/quote]

Yeah! the day I asked for suggestion of material at the local fly shop, I said I'll try the Woolly Burger, and the Elk Hair Caddy. When shown the hook size for the latter, I said WOW, give me a few months practice before I tackle that size of hook. And it wasn't the smallest of hooks.

[Wink]
[signature]