Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid Human Tricks
I hope this kid was not related to any BFT members. Tonight at the Evanston, WY, Front Street Maverik store I drove past as someone's boat and teenager was on fire at the fuel pumps. I parked my car and rushed to tackle the kid as he was running around but someone beat me to him. I ran past them to the pumps to shut them off but someone else was doing that. I ran to the tow vehicle, an Excursion with several kids watching a movie in it, so I could get the flames away from the pumps. The girls were really freaked and as I tried to move the rig away some lady parked in my path so I was blocked in somewhat. A woman returned later to the vehicle to grab her phone and I asked her if the kid was filling fuel cans in the boat. I've seen cans ignite if not put on the ground to be filled. She nodded yes but a fireman told me a few minutes later that the kid was trying out his new lighter he had purchased a few minutes previously. A new boat cover and rear seat cover will also be needed. The good news is the kid was able to stand and talk about his burned flesh (and most likely the plastic that is welded to his skin), but the bad news is the scare given the family and the score of bystanders. My daughter watched with her twin brother and they both cried for a while in the car, seemed OK in the store later, but now she is crying in her bed because she's scared.
People, be safe this weekend!!!

Kevin
[signature]
Way to go Mueske. At least you tried to help, now adays most people would of just drove on by or stood and watched to see if something terrible would happen. Hats Off. Hope your kids are doing ok, stuff like that be really scary for them.
[signature]
Remember the old adage "What goes around comes around". I too have helped out folks in fire situations - both were cars on fire. The first only cost me the price to replace the fire extinguisher $13 and the second I got a little smarter and grabbed the public fire extinguisher. I always carry an extinguisher in the rig and it has come in handly. As we all know stupid things happen and if you get a chance to help, it usually is at your own risk.

The things to remember with a car fire - don't open the hood with your face near the hood - get down because the quick input of air makes the fire flash up and you will get burned. Keep down and aim your extinguisher at the base of the flames.

And a GREAT JOB [Smile] to Mueske for coming to the aid of gas station kid. I'm sure it will be a memory he soon won't forget.

Keep it safe out there - remember they haven't outlawed stupid people from propagating.... but sometime you know when they should....
[signature]