Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anybody fish Walker Lake lately or ever?
anybody fish Walker Lake lately or ever? I'm thinking about a little trolling this weekend?!

sm
[signature]
[cool]The temperatures will be hot...and the fishing likely not. Best shallow fishing is early and late in the year. But, if you can find 'em deep you can either vertical jig them or troll deep. They feed on the "tui chubs" so minnow imitating lures 3" to 5" long work well. Go with golds...and gold with red stripes or spots.

When the water turns cool, after October, the fish can be fairly shallow and close to the banks. Then they will hit a wide assortment of spinners, spoons and even flies.

I'm sure you will check in with the local tackle shops for the best uptodate info. My observations are based on past experience and the reports of fishing buddies in Sacramento that used to fish both Pyramid and Walker for those big old nasty Lahontans.

Good luck, if you can make it up there. Fishing trips are always worth making, even if just for gathering more info for a better planned trip at some other time. I have made many "throw-away" trips that resulted in a few fish and a lot of vauable facts that I put to good use later.

A wasted trip is one you didn't make...when you could have and didn't.
[signature]
thanks TD - if i go it will be with a guy with boat and outriggers . . .

sm
[signature]
[cool]I hope you meant "DOWNRIGGERS". I don't think they have many marlin in Walker.

That's one of the two keys for taking fish this time of year. The other is sonar, so you will know how deep to drop the cannon balls.

Two words of advice. First, troll slightly above the fish. They will come up to get a lure, but will not go down for it. Second, watch the sonar and look out for underwater humps that can grab your outrigger gear. Try to troll in channels and over deep flats. Vertical jig on top of any humps that hold fish...or drag your lures by at the right depth. Sometimes you can pick a fish off on every pass.

I don't know if your friend's boat has a GPS on it, but that is proving more and more effective in keeping anglers in just the right spot. This is especially critical when the fish are neutral or negative, and you find a small area where there are a few that will bite.

YA CAN'T CATCH THEM WHERE THEY AIN'T.
[signature]
yah whatever, im not into cannon balls - but thats what happens when ya live in florida for 13 yrs . . and thanks for the tips!

[Wink][sly]

sm
[signature]