Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rod question *(update) *
[font "Times New Roman"]Hi I am hopping someone can set my right on this.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Late last year I picked up a “Eagle Claw 7’6” feather weight” rod …. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff0000]for what its worth I was wrong on the rod length it is an egale claw 6'6" FL 300 does that change the line WT or are we still still talking 5wt? [/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Not because I thought it was good but because it was cheep and short. I was looking for a after work bushwhacking special type rod to take to the local brook and fish stocked fish in the harder to get to places (I put some decent money in a nice 5wt set up for “real fishing”)[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Any how does any body know the approximate line wt for that rod? That is my question. I fished it the end of last year with 3wt. The rod is fiber glass so the action is a little slow (or slower than graphite at least) so I don’t want to over line it and make it slower that it has to be. On the other hand I don’t know if it would cast right (or at all) if I go to light in the line. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][:/][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Thanks [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]peace[/font]
[signature]
sond like a 2 or 3 weight, but as stiff as it sounds maybe a 4 weight? perhaps FG can chime in shes the man.... WOman!! when it comes to this stuff
[signature]
Wow!!! I go 6 weight, as it is a 5/6. I agree with you that it is a good bushwhacking rod as nothing lost if it breaks, but it is a terrible fly rod for casting any distance. Guides are not placed right and way big.
I have been casting and teaching for years and it is truly terrible.
I use mine for deep nymphing where there is no casting.
It is actually Graphite & glass. Stiffer than E glass, but close to S glass.

Trying to cast anything smaller than 5 will make it quicker action, but it is not going to load at all.

I would seriously look at a different rod. I am not talking high dollar, and there are allot of great rods on e-bay.
[signature]
WOW to 5/6 wt ! really?

It would seem like with a line that heavy the rod would not even have enough pop to move it [blush]

this is all still rather new to me, like I said I picked it up to bushwack after work so i have no complaints.

Is 3wt line really too light? maybe split the diff. and load on a 4wt? 5/6!? wow

here I was thinking maybe 2wt [crazy]

peace
[signature]
on a side note is that rod, do you think, to "soft/slow" to roll cast properly? I was having a lot of trubble with it last year but I was still just learnig. I have made a ton of progress over the winter months (lots of days looking for salmon on the naugatuck w/ a 7wt) but i have not had that rod back on the water yet.

thanks
[signature]
Mine is difficult loading a 5, that is why the 6. I can't imagine the rod with less than a 5. It is full flex and that is what it is designed to load. To try to make anything more, it is going to lack big time.
Sportsman's Warehouse has a great little 6' 3wt W. W. Griggs for like $29.
[signature]
FG,
I've been looking for a cheap 6ft rod. They're hard to find. I wanted a 1 or 2 wt but for $29 if it's decent at all I'd get a 3 wt. What is the action like on that WW Griggs? I broke down and spent more than I wanted and got a 6ft 2wt St Croix Imperial online last week. Took it out and it sucks- feels like you're casting a piece of wire[crazy]. When I got done I was thinking I wouldn't keep it even if it cost $30 (it was more like $150). I should know better than to buy a rod without asking you. That puppy is going back.
[signature]
It is a fast action, but I was able to sling shot under bridges.
[signature]
what about a comparison on that ww griggs and the hardy 3wt that sometimes pops up on DOTF.. we are talking double the money so is it worth it??

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Oh, well, forgot about that. $39. plus shipping. The GREY's is very nice, but a little longer. Not really a good bushwhack, but a great rod.
[signature]
but it would work well on a small stream.. or is the griggs better for that situation?

MacFly
[signature]
Some places a 6' is required. So I would say on the tight brush creeks, the Griggs.
[signature]
*please see top post I made a change to the specs*

thanks
peace
[signature]
[quote jim202000][font "Times New Roman"]Hi I am hopping someone can set my right on this.[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Late last year I picked up a “Eagle Claw 7’6” feather weight” rod …. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][#ff0000]for what its worth I was wrong on the rod length it is an egale claw 6'6" FL 300 does that change the line WT or are we still still talking 5wt? [/#ff0000][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"]Not because I thought it was good but because it was cheep and short. I was looking for a after work bushwhacking special type rod to take to the local brook and fish stocked fish in the harder to get to places (I put some decent money in a nice 5wt set up for “real fishing”)[/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Any how does any body know the approximate line wt for that rod? That is my question. I fished it the end of last year with 3wt. The rod is fiber glass so the action is a little slow (or slower than graphite at least) so I don’t want to over line it and make it slower that it has to be. On the other hand I don’t know if it would cast right (or at all) if I go to light in the line. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"][:/][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]Thanks [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]peace[/font][/quote]

Yes....a 5 weight....at least.[Wink]

http://www.troutlet.com/Eagle-Claw-Feath...-P217.aspx

Peace to you too[angelic]
[signature]
thanks [fishin]
[signature]
You betcha[Wink]
[signature]
FG,
Thanks for the tip on the WW Grigg. Sportsman was out of the 6ft but picked up the 6 and a half ft model even though it was a 4wt. Cost $37 and casting with it is far superior to the St. Croix Imperial that cost 4 x as much. Already sent that back so now I have plenty left over if I decide to get the 6 ft WW Grigg as well when it's in stock. I think the Grigg is more of a medium action rod but it wasn't just the action of the other rod I didn't like.
[signature]
Out of all my rods, I picked up the W.W. Griggs VINTAGE 8'6" 6 weight for still water. It is a half glass/half graphite. Funny thing, BECAUSE of the action, I usually grab it first over the Helios, Zero, BIIx, and the T3.

It has an action unlike any other, Saying it is better than the others isn't true. It lacks in hardware, but something about the action.

Oh and it has a nice Bambooish look[laugh]
[signature]