Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Z-Axis or Helios...
I just did my taxes, and the government decided to reimburse me a full semesters tuition, so i'm going to blow it on a couple fly rods and a few reels. My problem is that i'm not sure what rod I really want to go with. I'm looking for an opinion from someone who has used both rods. I know from reading these forums that a few of you use helios rods, but i haven't heard much here about the z-axis series. I'll most likely be buying either of the said rods in a 4wt, and going with a Reddington 7/8 wt (unless i can find a smokin deal for a 7 or 8wt sage/orvis online or elsewhere). Anyways, If you have used both, and can throw some insight my way, please do!
[signature]
helioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelioshelios

did i say helios? to each their own but i love mine, im getting a 3 weight next.
[signature]
I would say Helios but I can't say this too strongly. Different people, different casting styles, different rods. Make every effort to try them out yourself.
[signature]
[quote fluteplr]I would say Helios but I can't say this too strongly. Different people, different casting styles, different rods. Make every effort to try them out yourself.[/quote]

+1
[signature]
I agree it depends on the Casters style and what type of fishing.
The Z-Axis is a FAST action, are you looking at the tip flexed Helios?
The thing is, with the Helios, you have several FLEX choices...the Z is what it is.

I look at the Z everytime I go to Fish Tech, but end up walking out with Winston...I am not sure why[laugh]

I have used the Z. Very Crisp/light rod. But as mentioned, not my style, but I cast Bass Bugs with Glass...LOL
[signature]
One other choice...the HYDROS and a killer reel to match, or maybe some Shark Skin with the savings.
[signature]
I haven't cast the Hydros, but from what everyone says, it's the same blank as the Helios. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks and go with the Hydros.

In a 4 wt, I would not spend any amount of extra money on a reel. You won't be catching many fish that even get to your reel, let alone need major stopping power. Even hard fighting trout in our Utah streams just don't fight all that hard.

I'd get yourself the Hydros instead of the Helios, a moderately priced reel, and put the extra money into fishing trips. After all, what good is the gear if you can't afford to get to cool places to use it? For the extra money you save you could buy Idaho and Wyoming annual licenses....just sayin...
[signature]
I really love my Glenn Wicks 4 wt, made in Creswell Oregon. Great rod. I have A Sage, Snow, Early Scientific Angler, Fenwick and a couple of other rods and this is the best yet. Take a look at it.
[signature]
Looks like Glenn is just a builder. Uses blanks like Lamiglas, All Star, Pacific Bay, & Rainshadow. Blanks you can get anywhere.
Not saying he doesn't put them together nice and these are certainly good blanks, but not in the same league as Z-Axis, Helios or Hydros.

Agreed a reel on a four weight doesn't need to be big guns, but you have a Cadillac, you gonna stick spinner hubcaps on?[laugh]

The Hydros or Helios with the new Click Pawl CFO...sweet. Or better yet a Hardy.[cool]
[signature]
no way, Abel Super Series, Rainbow all the way!! you wouldent want to happen to fork out the 800 bucks for one would you? i swear ill give it back to you after i field test it [angelic]

when i die
[signature]
Dang. sorry, just the Brown Trout model[Wink]
[signature]
[quote TS30]I haven't cast the Hydros, but from what everyone says, it's the same blank as the Helios. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks and go with the Hydros.

In a 4 wt, I would not spend any amount of extra money on a reel. You won't be catching many fish that even get to your reel, let alone need major stopping power. Even hard fighting trout in our Utah streams just don't fight all that hard.

I'd get yourself the Hydros instead of the Helios, a moderately priced reel, and put the extra money into fishing trips. After all, what good is the gear if you can't afford to get to cool places to use it? For the extra money you save you could buy Idaho and Wyoming annual licenses....just sayin...[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. Get the Hydros and a moderatley priced reel. You're a student or just where, so save the extra for some trips. That 4 wt will handle any trout in Utah waters. You certainly don't need a 7/8 wt here. So unless you got a trip planned hold up on that purchase unless you find a great deal.
[signature]
[quote flygoddess].... Agreed a reel on a four weight doesn't need to be big guns, but you have a Cadillac, you gonna stick spinner hubcaps on? .... [/quote]

hey I see cadillac escalades and lexus with spinning hubs out here all the time?? [laugh]

MacFly
[signature]
I think those are the whole wheels you are seeing...you will see the spinner hubcaps on Vegas....BIG difference, but they do the same thing.....sort of[Tongue]

Wheels:
http://www.wheelfire.com/scontent/WheelD...CheckFit=1
(by the way, liking the middle one on the bottom....BOLD[laugh])

http://www.classiccargoodies.com/viewite...e_15_4_Bar
[signature]
Thanks for the input everyone!

I had been considering the Hydros. I might go cast it and see how it feels in different tip flexes. As far as the reels are concerned, my employer carries ross so I'll be getting a smokin deal on my reels/spare spools (might even order a "loaner" rod from them also).

As far as line is concerned i will be picking up a couple of lines to try out, one is definately going to be sharkskin. I have never heard anything negative about it.
[signature]
gunna hook us up with a discount?
[signature]
I own the 590-4 Z-AXIS its a great rod light etc I took it to Alaska I got my first leopard raindow with a mouse fly on this rod on the Kanektok river. The only problem I have is my old hardy reel comes loose all the time on the reel sit The thing that I found out it holds my new reels just fine.
[signature]
I have several rods that are picky about the reels also....Why can't they all be a fixed standard size[mad]
I like the BAND style lock and have a couple, but they just don't like the new Orvis seats.

On the Sharkskin, IF you go tip flex, seriously look at the GPX. It is 1/2 line heavier tip and it really helps shoot the line with little effort.

It does work well with mid flex, but I think a must with tip.
[signature]
Thanks for the info FG. I don't know what blank mine is made from but I love the rod. I didn't know Glenn was just a builder, but he's a good builder.
[signature]
One of my friends let me borrow his z-axis 6 and 7 wt, and a 5wt helios mid flex. Fished the helios and the 6wt today and..WOW!!! I dont know how I fished without either of these rods. They both made casting pretty much effortless!

I used the set the sage as a nymph setup, and added a bunch of extra weight just to see how it would handle it. Seems like 4 split shot and 2 bugs were casting with ease. (both roll casting and false casting) I only actually needed either 1 or 2 split shot to get the job done, when i was actually fishing the rod that is all i had on.

My eyes are a little bad, so i set the helios up with a doubble dry setup, first fly was a small bwo( they werent hatching i just needed a strike indicator) and a midge pattern behind. They were going stupid for the midge pattern, as a matter of fact, they shredded all 5 of the producing pattern i had by mid day.

I only fished for about 4 hours, but about an hour of that was whipping around different set ups seeing how the rods would handle them.

My total for the day was 13 browns. All fish were caught on drys

I'll be hitting the weber again tomorrow if anyone has the day free and wants to catch some fish!
[signature]