Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to fish
I will be in Northern Des Moines from Utah during March and would like to get out and fish a little when I have the chance. I won't be able to travel far.

Is anybody willing to point me to a good lake that will be fishable the last half of March. I know waters are high I would just like some potentials if given the chance and weather permits.

I fish for Trout alot, Walleye and Smallmouth bass a little here in Utah. Any recommendation of fish, location and lures for recommended?

Thanks in advance

Doug
[signature]
Have you been to Saylorville, rock creek or Red rock (might be a bit far)
[signature]
I will be close to Saylorville, don't know anything about the others.

What are the best fish to go after in Saylorville and is the high water going to be a factor?

Thanks
[signature]
While not an Iowan myself (unfortunately), I've spent many a summer fishing there (my relatives live there). Lake Chariton may be a bit out of your way, but I believe it's known for large bass and flathead (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the state record flathead was caught in Lake Chariton by the dam using a piece of shrimp). Lake Okibojee is a great spot for Muskie, pike (It might just be one or the other; I forgot which), bass, and I believe wipers are stocked (white perch/ striped perch hybrid).

River wise, Iowa has great fishing. The Raccoon has great channel cat, but it's also infested with carp (which, incidentally, make great cut bait). You'll also be right next to the Des Moines River, which goes through the heart of the capital. To the east there is the Cedar Rapids River (or is it just the Cedar River?) which has trophy catfish and pike, as well as the Whapsapinicon ("Whapsy"), which has plenty of pike, bass, walleye, and catfish. It also has drum, but I don't really fish for those much.

There are also plenty of farm ponds with stocked catfish and bullheads. Ask people where the best spots are- Iowans are friendly. They'll help you out. And if you're into catfishing, there are plenty of slaughterhouses to get bloodbait from. If you like more active fishing, go to Lake Okibojee.
[signature]