Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tippy dam fishing report
Fishing conditions;
Numbers of fish are very low , water was very high (up to the steps )and stained . Intermittent periods of rain then sunshine , windy and cold .There were a few ice chunks in the river , stairs are clear of ice except near the bottom .
Very low numbers of fish , better fishing is found further down river at rainbow bend from the other anglers I spoke with . The north (Brethren )side of the river had more fish action than the south side , especially down near the boat launch , 3 fish landed there . As far as I know I am the only one with fish hooked in the coffer section up untill 2 P.M. .
The high water warning siren was sounded several times during the day , small framed people should avoid going more than knee deep as the river curent is very strong .

My day;
Up at 4:30 A.M. , waited to hear the itinerary of the day from the Mrs. and left by 8 A.M. .
9:45 arrived to see one fisherman with a small jack (barley 14" ) in the parking lot , asked him how it was down below and he said he saw one guy bring in a black steelhead that had been in the river too long . I figure it wasn't a steelhead but a sucker he viewed from across the river .
I was one of six guys fishing when I landed my first fish a 12lb. hen , I released her .
by noon I had the entire coffer section to myself , thats when I had the fish of the day take me for a ride .
I fought that steelhead for a good 45 minutes , during that time 3 guys came down the stairs and one of them volunteered to net the beast for me (armed with a standard trout net) .
I replied that I didn't think the net would quite be big enough , but he insisted on giving it a go , beaching the fish was not an option as the water level is up to the stairs .
As i worked the fish , (well as the fish took me down to the coffer wall I should say) we had a good glimpse of him , 17 to 20 lbs. easy , something to mount on the wall if landed .
After what seemed like 10 minutes of holding his own at the wall the fish started to tire and I gained some line on him at last , thats when I lost him as he surfaced and rolled over the spill-way . I had him on but there was no way of getting below the coffer wall , I had to break the line .

I gave the fishing another hour before calling it quits for the day .
[signature]
we have the same high watter down here trick is knowing the spots the fish will hold in high watter ..sounds like you had some fun..ill be hitting my secret high watter spots tommorrow will try to get a report in then..ill be happy with one
[signature]
just one more question is the watter to high to get up in the corner by the dam...seems like that would be good with the higher watter..yes south side
[signature]
I'll send you a P.M. on how and where I had my "luck".
I see we get a few guys reading our steelhead and salmon reports and never posting any reports themselves , until they do I'm not giving out my "how I did it" posts but i'll just P.M. them to active board members .
[signature]
yep been there done that seemed to find a large crowd the next day.better to do specifics this way..
[signature]
lol, thems the kind of guys who will follow you out to your morrell patch but wont offer to take you out to theirs.. [angelic]
[signature]
If I can find me a worm, I will head out to my sucker hole tomarow
[signature]
I will go for anything down here in the St. Joe River [Image: beaten.gif]
[signature]
you can help me catch some fish but dont mees with the morals i wont even take my dog with me to find those cant be to safe
[signature]
lol, your morells are safe from me... I dont eat them,

I just like to take pictures of them, and unless I am with some one who is picking them, they stay right where I find them and no one ever knows about it's where abouts from me. [:p]
[signature]
thats what the dog said
[signature]
wow, you have a talking dog? [laugh]

you know della and the dealer and the dog as well? but the cat was kewl,
[signature]
dont have that dog no more[sly]
[signature]