Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a day at Dixon...
.. I spent most of my morning yesterday on Lake Dixon trying to scare up a fish or two.. just as a quick background Dixon is a smallish reservoir about 15 minutes from my house... it has lmb, crappie, bluegills, and trout..

now that is the good news.. bad news is that I got skunked.. but had a blast wandering up and down the shore..

.. I threw everything but the kitchen sink to try to get a fish.. any fish.. interested.. but no such luck...

I did, however get some shots of some bass nesting up getting ready for the spawn... here are some pictures of that..

[center][inline DSCN0014.JPG]
[center]
[center]
[center][inline DSCN0015.JPG]
[center]
[center][inline DSCN0016.JPG]
[center]
[center]
[left]MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Very Cool!!!!!
[signature]
lol... as I tossed flies over the nest they just sat there and watched me.. it was like they were saying I see ya and we are not interested.. the only time they moved was to chase off other fish that got too close.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Century Gothic"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Hey MacFly did you use any poppers? Sometimes the noise gets them ticked off and they will come up to chase it away or better yet to take it down.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
yes... I used poppers, nymphs of different sizes, a yellow sally, buggers, chorominoids, scuds... etc.. nothing.. they seemed so intent on guarding the nest they only moved about a foot or so out to keep other fish away.. but as I said.. I may of gotten skunked but I had a good day on the water...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Sounds like you tried most everything. You might try throwing a big four inch long Maribou Mess in Bluegill colors right near the nest. They have to feel like their nest is threatened then they usually attack.

Windriver
[signature]
sounds like a good idea to me except I dont have one of those.. [Smile] .. I honestly threw the biggest flies I had at them and they did not budge... at one point I wanted to just throw my rod at them and see how they react...LOL...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Try some bluegill looking fly. Also it helps if you try to hide
so they cant see you.
First thing in the morning or late in evening popper should work good.
And then again, sometimes NOTHING works [Smile]

Peter
[signature]
lol.. you are right.. but I am curious about that maribou mess fly that was mentioned.. I cannot find anything out about it on line.....

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
I'll have to look for a picture of it. It is very simple. Kind of like a wooly bugger except you use a stem of maribou wrap instead of Chenile. You can make it in any color. The good thing about it is it has breathing qualities when fished very slow.

Windriver
[signature]
Id appreciate that.. it would be helpful if you can get a list of materials etc.. anything will help.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Big gob of powerbait
[signature]
now that probably would of worked but I thought we did not use power bait with flies.. LOL..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
With powerbait No flies needed. Or I could send ya some steelie eggs lots of those up here
[signature]
Ive sworn off power bait for Lent.. but not m-80's...lol...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]