Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon fishing in Canada
Hey guys!

This is my first post on this forum so hello to all [cool]

I'm want to plan a trip to Canada soon and hoping that some of you might be able to give me some pointers on what to do. I'll try and give you as much details as possible so you have more of an idea of what I'm after.

I would like to combine a canoeing trip with salmon fishing on a scenic and remote river in Canada. I'm after beautiful wilderness and scenic views with lots of wildlife, birds of prey and of course good fishing. Have any of you done something like this before and can you recommend a river or outfitter that does this sort of thing? What about doing the trip solo? Some outfitters are fairly pricey and I'm not sure if I can afford a very expensive trip. I've only done a very few canoeing trips in my life so I'm not very experienced.

Also, which are salmon rivers in Canada? I would love nothing better than to be able to catch a salmon on a fly in one of Canada's beautiful rivers while camping outdoors and taking in the serenity of the outdoors.

Thanks!
[signature]
welcome to the site craveman! i have never fished canada for salmon but i can tell you one thing. going solo is not a good idea especially because you said you dont have alot of experiance with canoe trips going by yourself is asking for trouble. make sure you bring somebody with you! as far as the rest of your questions im sure somebody will lend some pointers and tips to you just be a little patient!
[signature]
Hey craveman for salmon and steelhead fishing in canada you have to go out west BC!!! Go to a river called the vedder river in chilawack last week of sept to the end of oct fishing for salmon is great! cohos chums and spring salmon...my biggest is close to 60 lbs! go gettem..check out a fishing store call freds custom tackle in chilawack google search ...give me a email anytime and I will be glad to help you out tight lines!!!![url "mailto:....cleardriftfloats@yahoo.ca"].cleardriftfloats@yahoo.ca[/url]
[signature]
Hi Craverman,

This is my first post here too, been lurking for a while though.
Well, Canada is a very large country (Second only to Russia) so your question is rather vague.
I live in BC, near the coast and Washington State border, there are no rivers here that any one with little to no experience should even consider canoeing down. The local rivers run very fast and many have up to and over class 5 rapids.

And BC is your best bet for getting everything you're looking for in a canoe and salmon fishing trip. Mind you, fishing for Salmon from a canoe is not a good combination.
A better bet would be to plan a trip to Canada to do some canoeing (lots of options there) AND do some salmon fishing (even more options there) but honestly, don't try and do them in the same sitting. Very dangerous.
Check out for tons of options as well as a local fishing forum to get you started.

Fishing for Salmon can be done in a few ways. Either on the open ocean, in many of the inlets and in many many tributaries. BC has something like 30-40 Salmon bearing tributary rivers so, you have many options. Also, one can fish up the coast all the way to Alaska and down to Oregon so...... it's BIG!

BC also has 5 different species of Salmon and they range from May to Oct/Nov for fishing season, depending again where you target them.

So, you need to give us ALOT more information. Location, Date, Duration of stay.

Good luck with your dream. I live here and let me tell you, I'll spend my entire life trying to fish BC alone and never get 1/2 way through all the possibilities. I'm going on 3 fishing trips this summer, one on Vancouver Island for Salmon and Halibut, 2 to the Central Interior for rainbow trout. I love it here [cool]
[signature]