Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sarasota Area Backcountry Report
Capt. Kevin Chamberlain<br><br>10/14/01<br><br>Action around the Sarasota area has finally picked up. The bay seems unaffected by the red menace and the bait, and the predators that feed on them have returned. Redfish and snook have been moving up on the flats in North Sarasota Bay around Whale Key, Long Bar and Tidy Island. The best action has been on the higher stages of the tide. <br> <br>Reds to 26 inches and snook to 25 were landed and released on MirroLure's Top Dogs, Provokers and gold spoons. Trout to 20 inches are eating Slimy Slugs and DOA Shrimp on the deeper grass around Buttonwood Harbor, Bishops Point. the Middlegrounds and around City Island. Bluefish, flounder, jacks and ladyfish were caught in the same areas.<br> <br>I fished the last full moon scouting around the Terra Ceia Bay area. Moving around a lot, I found decent fishing though most were on the smaller side. There were several trout and ladyfish hitting Slimy Slugs and Clouser Minnows on the deeper grass. Jacks were moving around the oyster bars on the lower part of the tide. <br> <br>Trout and ladies were also busting baits on the south side of the Bulkhead. If you're targeting shark, bonnetheads were cruising the bars and the shallow grass flats and could easily be sight-fished. Redfish and snook action was slow. I managed small snook inside the bar at Emerson Point on foam popper flies and fished trees around the bay on the higher water, but couldn't find a redfish or a larger snook despite the effort. Blame it on the moon.<br> <br>The front coming down on us is a mild one, but the one following on it's heels should cause a decent drop in the water temperature. These lower temperatures are exactly what make this the best time of the year to fish here. Redfish, snook and larger trout will invade the flats to put on weight in anticipation of cooler weather. Cobia, bluefish, flounder, Spanish mackerel and pompano will be other choices and they're all a blast on light tackle and fly.  <br><br> <br>Thanks,<br>Capt. Kevin<br> <br>To see photos from recent trips, click on http://www.flatsangler.com.<br><br><br>