Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
reel seat question
i have a rod that the foam handle screws down to hold the reel on the reel seat but the foam handle has come apart from the aluminun that acutally screws down to hold the reel any ideas as to what i can use to reattach this back together i've tried a couple of things ( super glue hot glue ) that worked for a while but allways ended up coming apart again any suggestions anyone thanks

chris
[signature]
Go to Walmart and buy a product called Shoe Goo. It is made by a company called Goop. They also have a product called Plumbers Goop. Both products are the best stuff I've ever tried for gluing dissimilar materials. If you can't find Shoe Goo or Goop, try a two part epoxy.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
thanks kayote that might be something to look into
chris
[signature]
One other thing to consider is the price of a new rod compared to the costs of repairs that you might need to make over and over again. There does come a point where it is more cost effective to just buy a new one and be sure your equipment will do the job when you need it. Besides, aren't we all looking for a good reason to get new gear?[Wink]

m
[signature]
I can always use a new rod...or three!!!
[signature]
Ya a new rod would be nice but nothing feels better then a old comfortable rod you've cast a million times with. I just noticed that my guides are warn down form all the fish it's battle. Boy that brought some nice memories back to think about how many fish it took to wear those guides down to almost nothing.

Take it to a rod builder and let them fix it or replace the broken parts.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Bro, I make rods and repair lots of reel seats. For most of my adhesive work...putting on cork handles (and foam), I use a two part eposy from Flex Coat, especiall formulated for rod building. It is flexible and waterproof...which many expoxies are not. They turn brittle and crack...or separate when exposed to a little water.

Actually, you can get a whole new handle assembly for less than $10 through Jann's Netcraft at [url "http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/default.asp?p=0"]http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/default.asp?p=0[/url]

That top part of the reel seat is almost impossible to replace, by itself, without stripping off the guides above it. It would be better to carefully remove the whole handle and then rebuild it from the bottom, with new components. Might be a good learning experience for you. It will give you the choice of what kind of handle you want. Some people prefer different styles than the ones that come on their rods, and look at a broken handle as an opportunity to "upgrade". Let me know if you wanna tackle it, and maybe send me a pic of the handle. I'll walk you through it if you would like to try repairing it yourself.
[signature]
thanks for the suggestions everyone not sure which way to go with this at present i like the handle on it well enough i am replacing the guides later in the year maybe i'll just see if i can replace the handle at that time with a nlce cork one

chris
[signature]
[Smile] See that? TubeDude is amazing.
[signature]